Flux Health Forum

M1 setting for back pain

What would be the best M1 setting to treat a back injury or Sciatica pain?

Different people have different injuries and respond differently, but a good place to start is to use the default settings on the M1 device:
Intensity = 9
Pulse pattern = Omni-8

I would start by stacking the coils bumpy-side-to-bumpy-side, tape them together, and place them directly over the injured area on the spine, or maybe just 1 centimeter above the exact point of injury along the spine (1 centimeter closer to the brain than the injury).

Replace batteries with freshly-charged batteries every 2 to 3 hours for best performance.

Try that for 2 to 3 days (6 to 8 hours per day or more if possible).

Take note of what you have done, and your response.

Donā€™t change too frequently but consider making minor adjustments every few days to intensity, note your response, consider trying different waveforms such as Alpha Wave or Schumann 4 or 5, maybe shift the position of the coil stack a bit up or down the spine, note any changes to your response, repeat and adjust, note changes and optimize for your own individual response.

5 Likes

Thank you so much, Bob!

Just for interestā€™s sake, what did you use for your back pain?

It seems my son has a bulging disk. Is it possible that the M1 can help the body correct this, or would it just provide pain management?

My suggestion was based on exactly what I did for my own back pain, starting about a decade ago, and as recently as today. Overall, that seems to work best for most people who have tried it who have back pain.

Your sonā€™s bulging disk: every person has a different capacity for tissue recovery, and every injury is different, so there are no absolutes. But as a rule of thumb: when people use ICES-PEMF as directed (exactly as I suggested earlier), and then they continue to use ICES-PEMF after their symptoms have abated (pain is gone) for at least two or three weeks, then in about 80% of cases, broadly speaking, the tissue will fully recover and the injury is gone forever, so far as anyone can tell.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much! I was just wondering what is possible, and, yes, I realize that every person is different, and there are no guarantees. But itā€™s helpful to know what has worked for others.

1 Like

Yes, I am very happy to say that for this kind of problem, ICES-PEMF can be very helpful. That has been confirmed hundreds of times by different people, with a success rate well above 90% (success = very significant reduction of pain). In many cases the effects are permanent, as described above, but in some cases continued use of ICES-PEMF is necessary.

2 Likes

I would begin with treating the low nerve root for 10-15 min on the same side

that sounds reasonable to me. I agree.

Iā€™ll share an additional thought. I am a nurse practitioner in Idaho, and I do a lot with individuals who have Neurodegenerative disease or other forms of cognitive disorders.

The sensation of pain is a central phenomenon. That means that while the pain may originate in the back, it is perceived by the nerves in the back and spine and transmit it to the brain (Central) where the body hast to figure out how to deal with it.

When individuals have acute pain, like a herniated disc, the protocol that Bob has suggested would likely have tremendous benefits. I have not experienced back pain like he has, and I am new to the forum, so I think itā€™s inappropriate for me to share an opinion that differs from Bobā€™s.

However, when an individual has chronic pain, sometimes the injury is not the primary trigger for chronic pain. The trigger may now be a central issue in the brain, where a specific nerve tract has been so overstimulated that it becomes the predominant nerve tract, or the new trigger for pain, taking the ā€˜pole positionā€™ and perpetuating the discomfort independent of the back it herniated disc.

I have asked a couple of patients to utilize the coils of the ICES M1 on the sensorimotor cortex directly on the head. Using an alpha way, they ā€œentrainā€ the nerves and disrupt or change the central signal that may be perpetuating the chronic pain.

It may sounds totally stupid and goofy, but Iā€™ve had more than one patient with chronic pain respond to an application on sensorimotor cortex when they did not necessarily respond to application at the site of the original injury.

Food for thought.

2 Likes

your feedback also supports those who have used the coils on acupuncture points to help alleviate pain. fortunately, covering all bases from a practical purposes approach than a clinical trial approach to test effectiveness of one area is something we can do easily :+1:t4:

it would be good to know from a data driven perspective tho about which areas are effective for specific issues such as herniated disc pain, etc.

I think this is absolutely true from the perspective of the function of the brain cortex. What I also find is that by reducing inflammation and swelling through the use of PEMF at the site of injury, the tissue can recover when it otherwise could not in a chronic injury condition. This reduces the initial pain signal at its source (the original tissue injury), and the cortex will then readjust to the reduction of this source signal, which has the beneficial result of stopping the pain by eliminating the source signal. Keeping in mind that as commented above, chronic source signals can and are likely to eventually result in alterations to cortical processing and perceptions of pain.