Flux Health Forum

Is the ICES contraindicated post joint replacement surgeries?

Hi Bob and Fluxhealth folks, just wondering if anyone here has used the PEMF after a joint replacement surgery, when you have some sort of metals inside your body. Is this contraindicated or not? What’s the results?

I know quite a few older people that are post knee or shoulder replacements. I’m not sure if I should recommend the ICES to them.

Thank you for asking this question, a family member just asked the same question.

Separately, does any one know if red/infrared light therapy is indicated or contraindicated on those with joint replacements?

Infra red spectrum is known to boost collagen production… bones joints etc definitely benefit from collagen … it’s the raw material the body needs to heal… esp in those areas

1 Like

I was originally very cautious about any use with metal implants. But many people have tried it and reported to me that it really helped them with post-surgical recovery, even with metal implants ranging from pins to entire joints.

This has not been formally studied, but I can say that I have only heard anecdotal reports (dozens) that range from “good” to “excellent”, no negative comments so far.

3 Likes

There are some red light therapy devices on Amazon that are indicated for joint issues. I don’t believe there’s a reason it should be contraindicated for joint replacements. Why would you think so?

I don’t think it would be contraindicated by any measure. I have read most of Dr. Michael Hamblin’s studies (and dozens of other researchers’ studies as well) on pubmed and the currently known mechanisms of action. However, I find this forum to be a thoughtful group and wanted to get additional perspective.