Flux Health Forum

Executive Function

It has been a slow process, but I have had 2 small breakthroughs in executive function this weekend.

That has been a long time coming.

I have been using the deep coils and the C-5 deep coils and love, love, love the deep coils.

I have been using Schumann 4 and other settings, but I like Schumann 4. I am using it on very low power. First or second line. Eyesight still isn’t great, but I can see one or two lines. I do it that low to reduce the clicking sound, which still can annoy me enough to make me want to stop.

I have been treating my dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, anterior cingulate cortex, and orbitofrontal cortex.

I went to an event yesterday and it has been weeks now without social anxiety and my executive function is slowly improving, but I experienced depression last night without any social anxiety. I think it might have been the alcohol for the toasts or the food being inflammatory.

I wasn’t having negative thoughts or social anxiety. Maybe I am not doing the vagal nerve enough or something.

I guess I am worried about whether I will be able to get all the way back to being able to bond with people again.

So I guess that is a different type of anxiety than just being afraid to interact.

The afraid to interact is gone. The nervousness that they didn’t stick with me when my brain problems happened and what that meant to not having a support system and how to fix that I enjoyed all of them and cared all of them and walked so many people through things, but I ended up alone the minute I had brain problems.

I am encouraged by the executive function improvements. Saturdays are supposed to be chore days, but it takes me so long to start and it takes me so long to do the tasks and to reset between tasks that I wasn’t getting a lot done.

I got a few things done today.

Healing the brain is one of those long processes.

4 Likes

I have started finding ways of exercising executive function and of testing it. I am doing Alzheimer’s tests and find that I can set Siri at 60 seconds and do test after test.

When I started, I genuinely was in the low range. They gave examples of list how many animals you can think of in 60 seconds or list how many words starting with a certain letter in 60 seconds.

The cool part is that they gave if you are at 14, which I was the first several times, that it is a bad thing. Below 17 is not so good. It took several tries to finally get a 19.

Anyway, I am following in Bob’s footsteps. If these are the tests they will give, then they are the ones I will do every day with the ICES.

I read a rationale for how this test measures executive function.

"Interestedly, the role of executive functioning increases with the degree of retrieval difficulty in the fluency tasks. That is, the ability to retrieve correctly (without breaking the rules) a limited set of words demands more planning, monitoring, judgment, and decision-making, in order to inhibit irrelevant information and select the correct responses (9). In order to promptly retrieve the target words from memory, more strategic planning is required, making the test more challenging, consequently, semantic fluency provides a more refined test for potential executive impairments and to magnifying different performances between study groups. Furthermore, within semantic or phonetic fluency, degrees of difficulty can help to assess retrieval function and distinguish it from memory deficits. For example, fruit names (category fluency) and words beginning with the letter A (word fluency) are considered more difficult to identify in the English vocabulary than animal names or words starting with the letter F, respectively for which searches are more limited because of reduced availability, thus demanding more attention and executive skills (10).

Impairments in semantic fluency are either related to blunt executive functioning (lack of sustained retrieval management) or to a breakdown of semantic knowledge (associated with semantic/conceptual memory disruption or/and storage shrinkage). In phonetic tasks, words are retrieved without a complex track of meaning. In contrast, in semantic fluency, knowledge of meaning is critical for the test performance, because words are needed to fit into categories, by grouping targets, according to meaningful and conceptual features. It has been recognized that this structural semantic knowledge is mainly impaired in Alzheimer’s patients (11–15).

The temporal neocortex, particularly its posterior aspects, has been indicated as the anatomical substrate of semantic storage, whereas frontal lobe functioning (especially the left frontal cortex) and frontal-subcortical neural pathways have been implicated in retrieval actions (16,17). Semantic fluency appears to require a much more widely distributed neural system than phonetic fluency, since semantic cues are more jeopardized after diffuse axonal injury than letter retrieval (18).

In Alzheimer’s dementia, there is a disproportional impairment in semantic (categorical) but not phonetic (letter) fluency, which means that the conceptual memory and its representation in cortical areas are critically affected (19,20). The retrieval process, which relies on the activation of frontal lobes, is not jeopardized to the same degree (21,22), explaining why phonetic fluency is not similarly compromised. On the other hand, in Huntington’s and Parkinson’s dementia (10), which are characterized by major sub cortical impairments, the retrieval process is most impaired, leading to equivalent declines in semantic and phonetic performance, because retrieving information is a mandatory pathway to reach efficiently stored pools of verbal memory (Figure 1)."

It was a young person bathroom habits study, so that part doesn’t fit, but it gives me a way to exercise executive function.

Dr. Greger’s video gave me a way to increase blood flow to that area using greens and beets.

Dr. Ornish spoke about exercising to increase brain size and I have researched which types of exercise work for that. It works if you are earlier in the disease and it is aerobic and weight training, which have benefits for different things. Balance and stretching and isometric didn’t do that much for brains, so I am just going to go with what I find.

1 Like

I am so happy. I have started getting so much accomplished.

It is new, so I don’t want to say that I am healed of executive function yet, but I still haven’t gone backwards in social anxiety and I can say that executive function is greatly, greatly improved this week.

People who don’t have executive function problems don’t have any idea how hard it can be to succeed just at normal job things. People who don’t have social anxiety don’t have any idea what it is like to not ever feel “safe” in social situations.

This one took a while, but I am so happy.

I have upped my Omega 3’s and have been taking PS100 along with the Whole Food Plant Based diet and the M1.

I branched out from doing as much of the prefrontal cortex. Plus, I am using the deep coils now and have actually stacked two of the deep coils together to try to reach more of the brain.

I don’t know if it is any of those things. I just know that I am so happy. I got so much done today and yesterday and I got some done the day before.

I am not walking around in as many circles and I am not driving around in quite as many circles on my “errand” days.

I still have deficits and I am still stalling on seeing if my TOJ budged off of 5. Sigh, I guess I have to try the Brain Gauge again. Results with that was so discouraging that I have put it off for a few weeks.

I am not going to use it right now. I don’t want to spoil the celebration.

I have executive function.

Hooray.

Congrats! Couple things -

• What are “deep” coils?
  • Does the “whole food plant based diet” have no animal products at all? If so I would be careful. My understanding is that, while technically possible to get all the nutrients a body needs from a vegan diet, it is very difficult. Every so often I hear accounts from ex-vegans about having to leave the diet after a number of years with negative health consequences.
  • What’s TOJ?

Best!

Overton,

I have been following the vegans who leave veganism and all of the ones I have seen are doing crazy forms of it and often they aren’t supplementing B12 and Omega 3’s.

Following people like Dr. Ornish, I have seen countless people who have reversed so many diseases, rather than get into trouble and so far, I am reversing everything.,

Most of the longevity communities around the world are Whole Food Plant Based.

Vegans test higher for proteins than meat eaters in studies and they do get in trouble with homocysteine when they don’t supplement B12 and can get in trouble if they don’t have a source of Omega 3’s, but other than that, 90% of people with MS stop progressing, people reverse Diabetes and get off the transplant list for kidneys and heart disease and reverse blindness, glaucoma, retinopathy, neuropathy, etc.

The communities I am interacting with people are getting healthier and healthier, but, yes, I have watched many of the “I used to be a vegan” videos and all of them were doing forms of it that I wouldn’t ever do.

TOJ is a Brain Gauge measure, which I am low in.

6 years ago, or so, I had a serious brain breakdown. One thing after another has reversed, particularly since going Whole Food Plant Based and it keeps getting better.

I got rid of things like hallucinations and night terrors and the list is so long now that I am just not afraid of the diet I am on.

But thanks for being concerned.

I am aware of the “ex-vegan” community and Whole Food Plant Based is not always vegan. It is capped pretty much at 5% calories from animal products and that is mostly a consensus, but the Keto doctors I have watched like Dr. Berg and Dr. Bredesen say pretty much the same 5%. Meat as a condiment instead of a main course. There are studies of many things where going all the way vegan is better, and the Keto crowd has their studies and that is not an argument I ever want to be in.

My keto sister-in-law is just about to have gall bladder surgery. We would both warn each other about gall bladder issues, based on our “sides” studies, but I don’t want to fight with people. Adds cortisol to life.

1 Like

I am going to say that for any way of eating, you have to learn how to do it properly and if you don’t you really will get in trouble.

My sister-in-law went Keto for prediabetes, but ended up hospitalized for pneumonia and she has moved to Diabetes and now she needs her gall bladder out. People who are Keto would start saying how to prevent those things and suggest her watching Dr. Berg saying to eat more vegetables and take bile salts, etc.

Whole Food Plant Based it would be: Don’t go to low on fat too quickly or drop weight too quickly. Eat things like celery and radishes and artichoke and maybe drink beets.

Whole Food Plant Based, people need to learn things like not to eat 6 cups of spinach or it will tax your kidneys. Switch some of it to kale instead. etc.

There is something called a learning curve and not everybody knows that they will need to learn.

Oh, I forgot to answer the "What are deep coils?’

Deep coils are with the C5 where 2 sets of coils are taped together. Bob sells them and his wife does the taping. If you have a C5, you could tape your own and test them yourself.

I bought 2 deep coils and have stacked them for the past 2 nights. Trying to reach the hippocampus.

I have had such problems functioning for the past 6 years that I have been desperate to figure that one out.

I work for a family business, so nobody wants to fire me, but I have been so inefficient that I can look back at the end of the day and notice how many circles I drive and how many circles I do trying to clean my house and how many circles I do trying to get my work done. No matter how much I have tried to organize it, I have not succeeded for years and it has been so frustrating.

Part of it is not my brain. Part of it is that the dog food I buy is in one town and the store that sells broccoli sprouts is in another town and the store which sells the plant milk without oil is in another town, etc. On errand days, I end up spending hours driving from one town to the next - but then I come home and walk from one room to the next.

But I wouldn’t mind it if I succeeded.

I am getting there. I got so much done the past 2 days. I am going to celebrate that no matter what happens tomorrow, but I am going to be so happy if I just solved for executive function.

I know that I found studies of things to improve it and that I am working on it, but it has been weeks and broccoli sprouts apparently was only for social anxiety. Omega 3’s are for executive function. Or reading the studies may have added to a placebo effect?

It doesn’t matter. Either way I got so much done today.

I wanted to update on executive function.

I am in the middle of a tremendous breakthrough.

I have been combining the Increased blood flow from eating my greens (Dr. Greger video) exercise (Dr. Ornish study exercise increases brain size) and infrared and the ICES.

I specifically used a lot of broccoli sprouts and other cruciferous and kale.

Dr. Greger has an autism video and broccoli sprouts worked by 5 mechanisms and I got a serious breakthrough when I started that.

I am also taking Omega 3’s, which helps if you don’t eat fish and I don’t.

3 Likes

Hey,

I found I could relate to a lot of your experience with how you were treated by people before and then after suffering brain problems, so you have my greatest empathy. I’m curious to know how you’re doing these days with regards to regaining your cognition and social connections? I have executive function issues and am slowly but surely finding ways to try and help address this life changing issue. Hoping to hear from you. Warm wishes, Jamie

I believe 810nm and 1070 nm in conjunction with pemf is effective. At least on a temporary basis I saw immediate change in my mom when I did this combination therapy. Hasn’t been long term so I don’t know those things yet.