Flux Health Forum

ADHD and PEMF / ICES

First-time poster, mid 50’s with life-long ADHD. I’ve refused the standard “stimulant” meds so far, with not great results. Curious if anyone has had any luck with PEMF/ICES for improving ADHD symptoms, such as executive function, working memory, focus, impulsivity, etc. Considering buying the M1 or C5, seems like the two main MoA’s would be brainwave entrainment, boosting biological activity in the PFC, or maybe a synergistic combo of both. Most practitioners would prefer to take a baseline QEEG first to see which bands are deficient and/or excessive. ie, too high theta, and too low beta. Considering a QEEG can cost over $1K, thinking maybe I could just start experimenting on myself to boost SMR, low-beta, and maybe gamma, using the ICES programs, which research seems to show is deficient in ADHD. I’ve tried the “NeoRhythm OmniPEMF” headband for about 6 months, on custom settings of 14.3, 16 and 40 Hz, with no noticeable effects so far. This device max power is 25 gauss (2.5 mT). Dr. Pawluk seems to think higher strengths are needed to make measurable impact on human tissue and organs. I have a few related questions, if anyone could please chime in with either objective observations or conjecture:

• Any bio-hackers or others out there with any thoughts or observations of ICES/PEMF impact on ADHD/Exec function?
    • Anyone tried any live EEG monitoring during an ICES/PEMF session, to see if the EEG would match the target frequencies driven by the device?
    • Would the extra power/penetration depth of the C5 vs the M1, be noticeably more efficacious, factoring in the cost difference and portability factor?
    • Anyone seen QEEG, SPECT, fMRI, conners, TOVA, etc, provide any quantitative, objective data, pre and post ICES. In lieu of those diagnostic tools, has the “Brain Gauge” provided any correlative data as such?
    • Any suggested protocols, PPS, strengths, config and placement of the coils, for improving PFC/ADHD/Exec function symptoms?

Thank you kindly.

1 Like

I biohacked my way to be ADHD free with ICES PEMF - it was all driven by gut dysbiosis - see my many other posts on this topic. This involved using coils on the gut along side binders so as to not trigger herxheimer reactions - not using the coils on my brain. In working to remediate ADHD, I also increased my presence and awareness which has improved so many dimensions of life. Brain Gauge is an awesome tool to benchmark brain health and track material changes impact on brain performance.

M1 is just fine for the gut and for head - portability is so awesome. I recommend the Brain Gauge + M1 combo over splurging for the C5 first. I bought the c5 a couple years after the M1 & Brain Gauge. My 13.5 yr old dog sleeps on the c5 18+ hours a day.

I rotate every month or so between Alpha Power 9 or Omni 8 Power 9. When I have a migraine, I double stack the coils on Alpha Power 15 on my head and the headache goes away after approx. 1 hour versus lasting all day until sleep.

4 Likes

Ok, I have zero personal knowledge of ADHD and my ICES experience extends to tendon use only. However, coincidentally I was just listening to a podcast of a guy who wrote a book on ADHD and it seems he proposes a complete reframing of the problem. So my apologies if this is useless but I remembered it and maybe it’d be useful: https://www.amazon.com/ADHD-Hunter-Farmers-Thom-Hartmann/dp/162055898X

coincidentally and to add to @wondering, i came across this podcast… an interview with ratey who has done a lot of research in helping with add… in a nutshell their research has found a level of exercise has helped with symptoms as well as boosting neurochemical activity giving an array of benefits.

i know it’s not pemf related, but it’s such a good podcast to listen to [Brain Science with Ginger Campbell, MD: Neuroscience for Everyone] BSP 111 Exercise and the Brain (Encore) #brainScienceWithGingerCampbellMdNeuroscienceForEveryone
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/106490253 via @PodcastAddict

2 Likes

forgot to share this one … an interview w/Dr. Ratey:

Do you have pictures of placement on your gut?

I don’t have pictures, but it has been side by side coils right below the naval.

I am sharing this in case someone else finds it helpful.

I bought an M1 a few years ago, and have used it sporadically since. The reasons for not using it include that I was not certain it was doing anything to help despite what I read, and probably I was looking too much for instant gratification of feeling “better” immediately after using it, or feeling at least some kind of improvement. I have lots of places where this is applicable, particularly with hip pain. Having said that, I have no guide to learn what frequencies to use, where to place it, etc.

However, I also have ADHD. (Maybe that also has something to do with my ability to be diligent in the use of this machine…anyways).

I have a machine called muse, it is a consumer level eeg that the company sells and gives you neurobiofeedback in an attempt to help you to calm your mind while meditating. I got it around 6 years ago and have gone through periods of frequent use, and then not used it for periods of time, but the consistent thing about it was the inconsistency of my results and complete lack of progress when devoting consistent time and effort to it.

I have tried ADHD medication and it did not seem to help, either with my ability to focus nor my meditation results. There was a time that I felt that the machine must not be reading properly because I feel like I am calm but the results say the opposite. Other times I could have a great session but not really feel like I had done anything differently, and occasionally I would feel like I was calm and focused during my session and the results would show it. In the last year, Muse also released an updated software app that seemed to give me even worse results than before, like the algorithm for what “calm” was had changed somehow.

In the last few days, I read the post from TajD here about biohacking himself to be free from ADHD by putting the coils on his abdomen. I was sceptical but I will consider almost anything at this point. I use the Muse machine with another app called Optibrain that gives some kind of brain imaging of the different waves and activity in the brain, I just started using it a few days ago.

Today I took a break from the computer to go and meditate. I relaxed for a few minutes on my bed and then put the Muse headband on and did a 15 minute session. I had 24% calm, a bit worse but not as bad as I have had at times before. I then thought to myself, what would happen if I put the M1 coils on my abdomen and meditate? I also have a red light, so I thought I would shine it on my face/head at the same time.

I did it again for 15 minutes with the coils running the OMNI 8 program at 12 power and the red light on my face. This time…birds chirping constantly (the feedback has bird chirping noises when you are in a calm state). It was 67% calm! I believe that is the highest score I have had since they updated their software.

A sceptic might say that I had gotten calm from the first session and that is why I did better on the second one, but I can tell you that I have done two 15 minute sessions before back to back, many times, and that never happens. I have also seen that my calm score is higher right after waking up in the morning, and this was in the mid afternoon and usually at a time where the results aren’t great.

I did feel a little different in the second session compared to the first. It was subtle but noticeable to me. If I did not have this tool to measure it though, I would not have necessarily thought much of it. But if it can make that much difference to me immediately in a measurable way, I am excited that I think that I finally have a starting point to figure it out and that consistent use in this way over time will start to show significant results for me. Being on my abdomen, I think it may also help my hip, or maybe my brain behaving will help the rest of my body, including my hip.

I have attached screenshots of the meditation sessions as well as the images from a before and after brain scan. I can’t read too much into those as I don’t know much about brain activity, but I can say that the after PEMF image looks VERY different than the before.

I will continue to do it and test, but it also opens up a new set of questions for me. If it is the stimulation of the vagal nerve that is causing my mind to be calm, is it because it is just mitigating an issue that is already present? Is my microbiome in that poor of condition that it is the root of my ADHD? Or is it something that is damaged or injured and consistent PEMF will cause it to heal? I have thought that I eat quite healthily overall except that I don’t probably get enough vegetables frequently enough, but I am no longer looking at my head as a problem but my gut.

Note, I was going to upload 4 images but because I am a new user I can only upload one. I will try and add the other on follow up replies, or if I can’t, then a mod will have to give me access to do it.

2 Likes

Where do you apply the coils please?

@ta

@RealThing Does this help?

1 Like

yes I’m trying that, thank you! Much appreciated.

As a follow up to my post, it appears that it is not the PEMF that is causing the changes, although I am sure it is not hurting and may also be helping, but it is the red light bulb that is having the primary effect.

Which bulb are you using? Have you considered doing intranasal red light therapy? Given your success with the red light bulb, perhaps it would be worth trying. They are like ~$30 USD on Amazon.