Flux Health Forum

Which intensity loss when using 2x2 coil arrays instead of coil pairs?

I suppose half of the power is lost when using 2x2 coil arrays, so intensity level 14 on M1 with 2x2 coil arrays should equal intensity level 7 on M1 with a coil pair?

Bon wrote on this forum:

“The 2x2 coil arrays are easier to use, and may, or may not work as well, depends on the person and the injury, but they work better with the model A9 or model C5 than the model M1.”

I wonder why 2x2 coil arrays work better with the model A9 or model C5 than the model M1 because the power output of the devices should be the same?

1 Like

*bump - also interested in the question of intensity loss.

sorry I missed this. The answers can get highly technical…

YES, 2x2 coil arrays divide the power between the extra coils.

A9 and C5: 2x2 coil arrays work better because the nature of the power source (both are different from an M1), can sustain the added current drain better from a 2x2 coil array.

Huh. So I guess this means that if you’re going to use the 2x2 coil with an M1, it would be better to always have the device plugged into the wall? Would it suffice to simply swap out the M1’s battery more frequently when using the 2x2?

Trying to use a 2x2 array with an M1:
Best option: plug in to wall with a USB-mini-B
Second best: swap batteries often, about once per hour.

More technical detail: the efficiency of the internal voltage multiplier/regulator is better if you have a higher voltage supply, so energy conversion is better from 5V (USB) rather than 3.7V (battery). And finally, the USB can easily source 2 Amps of current if used in a proper charging adapter, whereas the battery can not easily source that much current, so it has more trouble driving a 2x2 array. You can keep digging into this deeper and deeper, but the best thing is to use a 2x2 array on the C5 or A9 if you can, or plug in to use USB power if trying to use a 2x2 array on an M1.

5 Likes