Flux Health Forum

Tinnitus and concussion

Hi,

Looking for the group wisdom ideas on how I should proceed. I have a chronic mild concussion. Have tested with brain gauge. Started treatments with m1. 5pps at power 3. My tinnitus has ramped up a lot. I can deal with this louder tinnitus IF there is no damage. Am I doing permanent damage? Has anyone “powered through” irritation to finally acclimate? Has someone who’s sensitive to pemf been able to get past that sensitivity or is that a permanent condition? Can healing happen while also experiencing irritation? I’m beside myself. I desperately want to heal my concussion symptoms and don’t want to give up! Thanks for any anecdotal evidence you may have.

The best thing to do at first to limit tinnitus is to move the coils farther away from the ears, or to a different location around the ears if necessary. Also, initially try lower intensity (you are probably good at the setting you are using: 3) and slowly build up time of use each day, start at 10 minutes maximum, build up slowly.

From our initial mTBI study, it was found that people generally were able to “power through” the initial discomfort with no permanent issues.

2 Likes

Just a word of caution. I’ve read (I can’t remember where) some reports of users causing lasting tinnitus symptoms by placing PEMF devices near their ears or on their heads. I can’t remember if these were PEMF devices made by other manufacturers. But please do be careful - I’ve got tinnitus and it’s something I wouldn’t wish for anyone.

I agree. Its best to go “low and slow” with PEMF, and discontinue use if it seems to be causing a real problem. To date, we have had no reports of permanent tinnitus from the use of any Micro-Pulse ICES device, and we want to keep it that way.

1 Like

I get therapy with a nonprofit group called YSD, named after the Chinese therapy they use to treat all kinds of ailments. One member of the group suffered from severe tinnitus after a car accident and found that anything electric/electronic applied to her anywhere on her body would actually aggravate the tinnitus. Her tinnitus was so bad, she had to seek early retirement because she couldn’t function.

Well, YSD uses heat therapy as part of the treatment either in the form of red adzuki bean bags that you heat up in a microwave oven and apply to various affected parts of the body, or infrared heat mats that you plug in and lie on. She resisted using the heat mats because it caused her tinnitus to get much worse.

She made limited progress with the bean bags, but YSD insisted she needed more hours of heat therapy than the bean bags could provide and strongly urged her that if she wanted to see more improvement she needed to try the heat mats which could provide 24-hour constant heat. She started with just half an hour a day (and yes, she complained it made her tinnitus much worse initially). Then as she continued to use it, very gradually, it became less severe and she started to increase the duration of use of the mat.

It’s been over three years now, and her tinnitus is much reduced, not completely gone, but she says it no longer aggravates her as much as it used to, so she continues the treatment, because she figures she on the road of eventual recovery.

I don’t know why electronics would cause tinnitus to get worse, but it’s not the first time I’ve heard of this happening: YSD has successfully treated people suffering from concussions and tinnitus, some of them individually and others together, but it seems electronic devices negatively affecting tinnitus is not uncommon.

Since PEMF also uses electric sources, I’m not surprised that it makes the tinnitus worse, but if it’s anything like what these people experience at YSD, I surmise it too shall pass.

I recently had an EMF inspection done on my home after I felt the new modem we installed was causing “symptoms” mostly insomnia and flu like feelings. We discovered that it was very high by the computer which was next to the modem and cordless phone. As I was looking for ways to lower it, I discovered that some people’s tinnitus improved when they lowered their exposure to EMF. I also purchased the same type of meter as the inspector used, a Safe and Sound Pro 2 https://safelivingtechnologies.com/rf-meters
Now I can measure the levels myself, it’s interesting how it changes throughout the day, must be from outside my house coz I can have the wifi off and all my devices too and still get high readings. Smart meters can also have an effect. And there’s something called dirty electricity that needs a different type of meter…
I know you’re linking your tinnitus to the concussion, just throwing this out there, just in case, for whatever it’s worth. I had never heard of a tinnitus link to emf, but a friend of mine said when she moved out of her house, her tinnitus disappeared. And I saw an amazon review on a router faraday cage where someone said her tinnitus is almost gone since she started using it.

2 Likes