Flux Health Forum

The Brain Gauge is a functional measure

Dr Greger is someone I won’t ever put down. He saved my life.

Yes, I watch every doctor and researchers’ videos, but I have learned more mechanisms from him and his videos being shorter and more entertaining made them even more effective.

Genuinely, he saved my life.

So don’t go dissing him.

I don’t mind that you like Dr. Patrick better.

I don’t mind that you like Keto better.

Just know that these people like Dr. Greger and Bob don’t even know me and both of them have answered a hundred questions of mine. Dr. Greger is such a busy man, but he reads my comments and answers my questions over and over again. He has a kind heart and is nonprofit and gives all the money from his books and speaking engagements to charity.

I don’t need you to agree with him at all, but I need you to know that I am a protective person and won’t like it at all if you put the people who have helped me down.

I know that you are discerning between different teachings and that you have taken classes at how to evaluate studies and things like that.

I have been watching videos and changing things and I got rid of horizontal nail ridges and out of control eyes which were losing the ability to focus at all and I got rid of a lump on my breast and I got rid of eczema on one nipple and I got rid of hallucinations and night terrors and the list goes on and on and on and on.

He gave me such practical information. Bob’s device is the same thing.

I bought the Sota Magnetic Pulser and liked the sensation of it, but with Bob’s device I have healed thing after thing after thing. The weeks I used the Sota Magnetic Pulser, I didn’t have any testimonials and that could be because I have so many with the ICES, but, when I got the C-5 in, the testimonials started coming back again.

Yes, it might be that I understand how to use it more or that it has all the neuromodulation settings and I can match it up to studies, but Dr. Greger did that for me, too.

And I am not trying to say that you would pick on either of them. You are a nice person from what I see. I just know that Keto and Whole Food Plant Based people tend to start arguing but they are 90% the same diet.

You and I haven’t been arguing and I don’t think we will, but I need you to know that I am not going to want to be any part of tearing down anything about Dr. Greger at all.

Yes. That is a good example of a good video. Focuses on primary research. She also interviews one of the lead researcher’s.

Note: she does not skip over a primary article and draw sweeping conclusions that appeal to an agreeable audience like Dr. Greger does.

I am sure he is a nice man, however he does Not come across as an objective scientist like Dr. Rhonda Patrick does.

My goals is not to “disrespect your hero”, but to point out a good example of a scientific approach versus a ,“non-objective approach.”

There are a set of rules to follow in the scientific approach.

If the evidence goes against one’s beliefs, one has to be open to accept the evidence and be willing to change.

Something a committed vegan will probably not do.

Finally I test plant based and Keto on myself using blood tests.
Fasting blood glucose, HgbA1c, Cholestrol panel etc to compare how each diet is impacting my health.

I have not seen studies or even several credible case studies which support ,“The argument that a plant based diet can heal a pancease in diabetic patients”.

It would be wonderful if true, however what seems to be the truth is that patients who have been diabetic for a certain time period seem unable regenerate their pancrease and reverse their condition with diet.

What also seems to be the case, is that a keto diet seems significantly more successful at reducing sugar levels in the body as measured by HGbA1c and other measurements.

There are studies.

People are getting healed of Diabetes and are not going back.

Type 2 Diabetes, not Type 1.

You aren’t exposing yourself to the studies and case studies.

That is all I am going to say about that.

Like I said, my friends and family went Keto, but none of them did it perfectly enough and my friend and her husband spend thousands of dollars on insulin, plus other meds and really struggle to control their Diabetes and my brother and his wife, who both went ridiculously low carb, but ate too many animal products both moved from prediabetes to Diabetes.

I have never seen Keto work, except on TED Talks and I do understand the mechanism and believe that they can work, but I know that my friend, for instance, started just eating meat and her blood sugar still was out of control because she didn’t know that animal products could cause blood sugar spikes.

My cousin is on Dialysis now and Keto didn’t only not help him.

I am not saying that you can’t do it. It just is something you have to do forever.

Whole Food Plant Based uses getting the fat out of the Pancreas as how to heal people.

1 Like

You are using the word, “vegan” and none of the doctors that I watch consider themselves “vegan” they are “Whole Food Plant Based” and, yes, Dr. Greger would point to the Adventists longevity studies and would say that Whole Food Plant Based with less than 5% of calories from animal products and even vegan can reverse diseases.

Dr. Ornish’s last studies have all been vegan and he is reversing things like the need for heart transplants. These men are reversing Diabetes. You just aren’t following that stream and I am not going to push it on you and don’t want to talk with you about it because I know that people who are biased against it won’t analyze it neutrally.

You have found something you like and I have found something, which is changing my life thing after thing after thing and I haven’t seen those changes in either of my brothers or either of my sisters-in-law or my friends and their spouses, but I have seen it online and I do believe that it is sincere and I know that if people cheat, they don’t get into Ketosis.

People do the same thing with Whole Food Plant Based, though if they can stay below 5% animal products, they can get most of the healing.

But people eat processed vegan and Oreos and Twizzlers and think they are Whole Food Plant Based, but they are just vegan.

1 Like

I also don’t know how you are doing Whole Food Plant Based without knowing the doctors and Dr. Greger isn’t one of the researchers.

Are you doing Dr. Ornish’s plan or Dr. Esselstyn or Dr. Barnard?

I can’t tell because you are talking words like carbs and Whole Food Plant Based doesn’t deal with carbohydrates as a concept at all - other than no refined carbohydrates.

Nothing like white pasta, white flour, sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Some of the doctors, like Esselstyne and Barnard are pretty low fat, but they are reversing diseases and they have learned the mechanism of reversing those diseases that way. They are both careful even with having people eat nuts and avocado, but they are reversing specific diseases and the truth is that you have to choose a mechanism and actually do the mechanism or it doesn’t work.

That is true whichever mechanism you choose.

My family thinks the ICES is a scam with no real studies, too, and I can tell them all day long how many things I have reversed with it, but they aren’t open to the concept and I can show them PEMF studies and they still aren’t open and my dog’s vet thinks water fasting is a scam and my dog still being alive over a year after an end stage Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis isn’t something he will ever acknowledge as anything because he is biased against water fasting as a mechanism. I gave him studies and articles and he isn’t open and I am not doing this process with anyone anymore.

I have found things which radically are changing my life and I am so passionately happy about both things and that is that.

I am not going to talk diet with you because I am looking at it from both sides and you are only looking at it from one and are looking down on the doctors from the other side. For me, not looking down on the doctors, any of them, is how I stay open to learn from all of them and Dr. Greger has taught me so many useful things. His information has been so practical and easy to apply. I like that.

1 Like

Being critical of a video is not to be taken personally.

Constructive criticism is a norm taught in graduate school when analyzing any scientific paper.

The idea of having more quantitative numbers which are objective and measureable is a reasonable and valid criticism.

It is also often much easier to convince skeptics when you use a valid numerical argument based on valid repeated and universely accepted Tests versus general qualitative arguments.

While it does not mean that the other video has no learning merits, it is fair to say that if that is an acceptable way of differentiating between videos, and based upon this approach the one video is more useful than the other video.

Separately : If I had to suggest that Dr. Bob improve his wonderful videos of his discussion with Aaron:

1. labelling them according to a sequence and
  2. maybe providing an index table to make it easier for (PEMF-ICES users) to use and potentially improve the scope of audience who view his youtube videos.

You might regard this as a personal attack on Dr. Bob, who has helped us all.

I would guess that Dr. Bob might be grateful for the constructive criticism and might see merit in my theoretical suggestion?

On principal I find much greater practical value in instructional medical videos to include actual results of repeatable, recognized, scientifically valid tests, with target numbers preferably conforming to Functional medical standards.

Those kind of videos are generally much better and in my opinion generally show a much greater boldness, as well as knowledge of a subject versus a video that is targeted at a certain audience using qualitative adjectives.

It is much easier to be wrong when you use numbers, then generalized statements!

(Functional medical standards are the generally stricter norms for various measurements versus the “abnormal norms used by the vast majority of medical doctors”. )

For FBG Fasting Blood Glucose a score of 99 would be classified as Normal according to the ,“abnormal Norms”.
The Norm for FBG for according to Functional MD’s is 75-84., so 99 would be considered outside the norm.

If I used only a qualitative approach-," my Fasting blood sugar was within control limits", then clearly my approach gives far less infornation than had I said my fasting blood sugar was 99.

Saying that a video that mentioned the FBG number, combinined with the functional range of 75-84, is of far greater practical value and clearly superior to a video that uses mainly general qualitative statements is a fair objective criticism.

Ideally one brings in these criticisms w/o mentioning names,

If I inadvertedly offended you I apologize.

You haven’t offended me.

I don’t mind your process.

I am looking at things from many directions. I am following doctors who approach things from many directions.

I listen to Dr. Greger, yes, and Dr Ornish, and Dr. Barnard, and Dr. Esselstyne and Dr. Mercola and Dr. Seyfried and Dr. Berg and Dr. Fung and Dr. Longo and Dr. Patrick and Dr. Bredesen and Drs Sherzai, etc. I read PubMed article after article and listen to T.Colin Campbell and Dr Hyman and the list of doctors I listen to every day is quite long and I read Discover Magazine and Science Digest and I look at the Alzheimer’s sites and they list a lot of research and the Parkinson’s community lists a lot of research and so does the Autism community and the Diabetes communities.

My only point to you is that you are throwing out Dr. Barnard’s research or not including it and I don’t know if you really tried his process.

You gave me a Diabetes master from the Keto perspective and I was already aware of it and I gave you Mastering Diabetes from the Whole Food Plant Based perspective and I don’t know if you are really aware of the Whole Food Plant Based perspective or what your thoughts on things like the Blue Zones are. The Okinawans or the Adventist longevity studies., etc. Being in the Whole Food Plant Based communities, I read comments by people who have reversed all kinds of diseases.

You mention brain issues and I take that very seriously. The Sherzai’s approach versus Dr. Bredesen and I am waiting for Dr. Ornish’s study and have kept Dr. Barnard’s thoughts in the back of my head and I am fully aware of the war between these communities.

I guess, I just find staying neutral and not trying to figure out which one is better even but just listening and trying things and, yes, measuring things like A1C, and blood sugar, which I am aware both Whole Food Plant Based and Keto can lower, but I do believe the science that you can reverse T2D with diet and I believe fully that I have done that. I am watching my brothers and their spouses and my friends do Keto, but my younger brother and his wife moved from prediabetic to diabetic using Keto and my diabetic friends didn’t get off their meds, but they might not be disciplined enough to succeed with Keto and that is a really big deal to me. They either have to get more disciplined and use intermittent fasting or switch to whole food plant based, but they don’t like vegetables and fruit all that much and, right now, their blood sugar spikes any carbs, because keto makes you more sensitive to carbs.

The Whole Food Plant Based on-line communities have so many people who have gotten off of all their diabetes meds and that is something I don’t throw out.

Dr. McDougall, who would be the most controversial of the Whole Food Plant Based diet said that when Diabetics go on his diet, he needs to talk with their doctor immediately, because their meds have to drop so fast and he is white potatoes and people have lost hundreds of pounds on his diet.

I don’t do better or worse because people need to be able to do the diets and succeed.

The Okinawans were living into their 100’s only eating 6% of their calories from fat, so Keto isn’t the only game in town is what I am saying to you.

I know that you will be more capable of analyzing the research better than I am even capable of and I can see that you judge Dr. Greger as less than people like Dr. Patrick, but he has walked me through so many things and everything he has given me to try has worked, so I just consider him a friend even though I don’t know him.

I watched Bob’s interview with Dr. Mercola and I am sure he feels the same way. If someone helps you through something like a stroke, you don’t even want to be part of any discussion throwing them under the bus ever.

I do respect your approach.

I am not against critical analysis of things.

Dr. Greger, for instance, often has videos showing how statistics are mis-used and he shows how industry can design studies in ways to make themselves look better. He has picked even on the people who designed blueberry studies comparing them versus candy. Or the avocado growers designing study after study to make them look better. There have finally been some studies with better designs. He points out who funded the studies and to look for the double-blind studies and points out the P-values and all sorts of information like that every single week. He and a few of his followers, multiple of whom are doctors, have helped me to understand how studies are faked more than anybody. He shows how graphs can be manipulated, just by not starting at zero and all sorts of other tricks.

Anyway, I do respect that you are doing a very sincere process and that you are trying to be objective.

Honestly, I don’t mind even if you analyze people like Dr. Greger and Bob, but this whole “This doctor is better than that doctor” is a process I don’t find useful at all.

1 Like

@PEMFenthusiast2 You may find dr delgado’s vids on keto to be interesting:

Thank-you Deb, for your impressive and detailed response.
You certainly follow several very respected, and incredible personms who may often contradict each other.

Dr. Thomas Seyfriend is one of many great Keto exponents and arguably the most respected source in using diet to combat cancer. Like Dr. Longo (intermittent fasting guru) he is well known and respected throughout the world as leader’s in their fields.

To honor your viewpoint, I will read Dr. Barnard’s book as you suggested.
I am familiar with many medical exponents of the High carbohydrate Vegetarian view-point, but I have not read his book, or even watched enough of his videos to have earned an opinion of him.

When researching whether to use different dietary or PEMF treatments, it is very helpful to have a quantifiable way to determine one’s progress and follow points of views from opposing camps, as you seem to be doing.

An ideal goal is to maximize one’s health and be open to different or combining different approaches.

I would think that a Doctor who is interested in helping a patient, will place patient progress ahead of ideology or one’s own personal interest.

If I point out a conflict of interest, where a scientist or clinician are being significantly funded directly by a vegetarian or Keto organization, it is not to disresprct the individual/organization but to weigh their statements accordingly.

Example Loma Linda is a seventh Day adventist University.

Seventh Day adventists allege that the Almighty spoke with one of their four Church founders Ellen White (some allege that it was durring an epileptic episode, as she suffered from several epileptic bouts.)
And told her to tell people to refrain from meat and eat grains instead.

Kellog Company and many other Cereal companies were founded and run by seventh Day adventists who campaigned vigorously against eating meat and replace it with grains later to take the form of processed cereals (full of sugar).

Seventh Day adventists are well established (over one hundred years) well financed, very sincere in their religious beliefs and run several large medical Schools in North America including Loma Linda which teach their philosophy and arguably may have a financial and more importantly ideological bias with regards to a vegetarian diet and elminating meat (including organic grass fed meat) from the American and Universal diet.

Hi, thank-you for your input.
I have watched Nick Delgado on youtube.

I am glad that the Vegan diet seems to be working well for you.
Cross Fitness have a keto-based quality food diet.
They might re-write several assumptions regarding Heavy weight lifting and old age.
I look forward to seeing what new information they can add to the longevity argument.
They have a very impressive and dedicated organization, who follow recomended weight lifting protocols as well as recommended diets.

Their diet has changed over the past decades from one encouraging high Carbohydrate fruit towards the Paleo- Keto philosophy.

@bettereveryday
I am vegan from Nathan Pritikin’s era, so I had not even heard of Dr. Greger until your posts here. Thank you. What a character. And he wrote the book… “How Not to Die”? Seems very clear to me…if we don’t want to die, then we should do what he says in his book!! :rofl::laughing::upside_down_face:

I love Pritikin!

I listened to his old interviews and smile inside.

The engineer shows up and kicks butt in medicine.

When I was young, I heard the news calling Pritikin’s diet ridiculous and saying that he was a crackpot.

Now, as an adult, I laugh every time Dr. Greger tells his grandmother’s story.

a little known fact from my own personal experience and knowledge…
Pritikin was not the one who lead the majority of people to veganism beginning in the 60s. Priitkin was a significant but overshadowed player in that movement. It was actually michio kushi and macrobiotics that catalyzed the vegan plant based ideology and the health food movement among the young people of the era including me. Macrobiotics was not just about food but an entire cosomology of yin/yang imported and modernized from the ancient eastern philosophy and
medical systems

PEMFenthusiast2,

I have learned to reconcile their arguments and don’t see that they are necessarily contradicting each other.

They are using different mechanisms.

If you took cancer as a topic, Dr. Seyfried uses water fasting, calorie restriction, intermittent fasting, a very restricted form of the Keto diet, Hyperbaric Oxygen and he uses something to inhibit glutamate and he has gotten some fabulous results.

Now, take some of the Whole Food Plant Based doctors, they obviously aren’t inhibiting glucose and would point out that the cancer can make glucose from your muscles, from animal products and can feed also off glutamate.

Dr. Seyfried argues, not against Whole Food Plant Based. He argues based on studies where fat was better at not feeding cancer than something called “carbs” well, Whole Food Plant Based doctors don’t tell people to eat any old carbs. They are telling people NOT to eat refined carbs and sugars and artificial sweeteners and things like that.

It gets confusing to a Keto focused person to understand how Whole Food Plant Based also has had excellent results with cancer, but they are doing “anti-angiogenesis foods” (Dr. Li) and Methionine restriction (because cancer also needs Methionine) and they are using IGF-1 restriction (because cancer also needs IGF-1 to grow) They are using plant phytonutrients, which cause the blood to become more effective at killing cancer and which help the immune system that way. They are using the fact that it is Heme-Oxygenase-1 which is there in response to the Heme which is tricking the immune system into protecting the cancer instead of fighting the cancer and the fact that the digestive enzymes trypsin and chymotrypsin are needed to digest animal products and those enzymes also could be very usefully digesting the fibrin wall on the cancer’s outer shell so that the immune system could see the cancer that way. They are pointing to things like AGE’s from cooking meat and things like viruses in meat and how if you eat a lot of meat you end up with gut bacteria which uses the choline in eggs and the carnitine in meat and it produces TMAO and those little gut bacteria make tumors.

I could go on and on further from the Whole Food Plant Based community side because of all of Dr. Greger’s little bite-sized videos, but I know that if you don’t have a wider understanding of both diets, you sit in the middle with one person telling you to take carnitine supplements and one telling you that the gut bacteria are going to use it to make TMAO and it gets so confusing, but I bring you back out to word, “Mechanism” and the two diets are using different mechanisms and if you have epilepsy, you might want to be learning the Keto mechanisms and maybe learn from Whole Food Plant Based and add enzymes to digest your meat so that you don’t end up having a body, which doesn’t digest the fibrin on the cancer tumors.

1 Like

I think different mechanism is correct. Keto is the carnivore diet, and Vegan is the herbivore diet, and we see both types in nature. Carnivores are hunters who eat less often due to realities of hunting, and naturally fast between kills. Herbivores are grazers so they eat more often in smaller amounts and don’t need to fast necessarily.
Humans can choose , but anatomically I think humans match the digestive apparatus of other herbivores, and easily get into trouble eating animal products which for one thing decay quickly and require short intestines to discharge quickly.

Prometheus,

I appreciate your comments.

I feel like nutrition is one of those topics where the medical and internet culture has added such confusion by being so competitive and money and “spin” oriented.

I have only followed nutrition or science for about a year and a half and it is so confusing and so argumentative that I felt like I had to get outside of the debates and outside of the manipulative studies and start to interact with the communities of people following it from both sides and just listen and learn while I also try to learn science and learn statistics and apply it myself.

Every few weeks, I watch this man’s music videos again: This is my favorite because it is the one which blows me away. Getting there.

Laughing, when I first started reading PubMed articles, I read “blah, blah, blah, blah” and then I could understand the results and conclusion pretty well. The more science I learn the less painful the process is, but the doctors plural made it so much worse by not teaching it from both sides. Diet wars have made this process so much worse and I really mean it. People are dying from how doctors do this without nutrition, but also from how the culture does it. People are so confused. I want to yell at them all and say, “Yes, I have brain problems, but you all really are trying to confuse people to make yourselves look better than you are.”

Here is a very old Nathan Pritikin interview with Dr. McDougall for you.

I love that he was an engineer. I honestly never heard him when I was younger. I just heard criticisms. It would have changed my life if I had heard him when I was young.

Hi😁
When will the BG pro 2.0 be released, and what is the difference to the 1.0?
Regards Thomas

This thread is so good and well informative for me.