Flux Health Forum

Success with discogenic pain and spinal ligament injury, but increased neuropathic pain

Hey everyone,

I’ve been dealing with a couple of disc herniations (L4-L5 and L5-S1) for a year now, which required mostly bed rest with multiple short walks every day. During this time, I developed a spinal ligament injury that turned out to be more painful than the disc issues.

I’ve tried various treatments, with some success using shockwave therapy, low-level laser light therapy, and ultrasound. About a month ago, I discovered PEMF and ordered an OMI mat, as it was the only known brand available in India. After extensive research, I found ICES and became convinced it was the best PEMF device to try. Currently, I own the M1 and A9 models. I use the M1 with a power bank and the A9 with regular batteries.

I’ve been using these two devices for the last 10 days. My ligament injury felt better just a few hours after using the A9 with a 2x2 grid coil. My disc issues began improving after two days. However, from the second day, I noticed a new neuropathic pain in my right thigh, on the surface of the skin, which feels numb to the touch. This is new and hasn’t happened before.

I’m wondering if this might be a transient state that will improve over time, or if I should adjust my approach. Has anyone had a similar experience?

For reference, I use the A9 with superimposed coils on my lower spine at low intensity, and the M1 with a power bank and a 2x2 grid at 13 intensity on my middle back where the ligament injury is.

Welcome to the community! In my experience, new pains are transient. You may want to try waiting a few more days or moving the coils to that new pain area or changing intensities. @Bob has several posts talking about how healing one pain area can allow other seemingly dormant pain areas to become discernible.

Thanks @TajD. I’m going to try to reduce the intensity and also use one of the devices in the new pain area.

Feeling fortunate to have found this device. It’s made a big difference in just few days.

This is good advice IMHO. If you are getting some benefits, then it is a good Idea to just keep on doing whatever you are doing and allow the rest of your body to re-equilibrate. That may take a few days or a week or so. The advantages of using lower intensity are also underappreciated.

1 Like

I have the same thing but in my neck. Discopathies, hernis c3-c4, ligaments instability that cause neurologic problems (dizziness, faituge, visual blurs sometime…)… and I have an anerism due to a whipplash…I was wondering, because everything in the neck and everything is passing by this region, vagous nerve, and so much more, could I put the device there and could it help me anyway?

Every injury is different, every person responds differently. Generally, PEMF seems to reduce swelling and inflammation. This may be helpful to you, depending on your individual injury and your individual response to PEMF.

As always you should proceed with caution if you decide to try PEMF (or anything else). If you decide to try ICES-PEMF, consider starting “low and slow”:
Use low intensity for short periods of time while paying attention to your response.
If you tolerate it well, consider gradually increasing the duration and the intensity, as discussed in many locations all over this forum.
Please feel free to ask questions and report what you try and your observations as you go if you decide to try ICES-PEMF.

I have similar issues and tried many therapies as you have. I found Stem Cell injections most helpful with daily maintenance use of my Micropulse C-5 along with laser therapy to nerve roots & the brain during flairs.