Flux Health Forum

Spinal nerve impingement > muscle atrophy

you might find this more comfortable around your neck

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000078CUB

than a rubber band…

Sure the coils are designed to flex. Just be reasonable, and it will be OK.

Pain masking is exceedingly unlikely, so it probably arises from a reduction of inflammation and irritation at the source of the pain, IMO.

Any amount of tissue damage will take time to repair. But observations, amny done by orthopedic surgeons, suggest that healing of musculoskeletal tissues with ICES-PEMF will be about 2 to 3 times faster than typical healing rate.

I would experiment, and definitely try medium or even low (7-8) intensities if using it while sleeping 7-8 hours.

1 Like

JWilkes,
I have a similar situation and have found a solution that works for me. I got the following knee brace:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734X3478/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used 3M Micropore surgical tape to tape the coils to the inside surface of the brace and included a short length of the wire inside the tape so the flex point will not be right at the coil. I leave the coils taped “permanently”, but when I need to retape I move that flex point to a new part of the wire. I used the same surgical tape to tape a sock around the brace and cut a hole in the sock far enough from the toe for the A9 to tuck completely into the sock. The brace is in the right place for the coils for me, but the coils could be placed on an extension with the right flexibility/rigidity to move the coils up or down. The black “tail” attached to the bottom of the sock is to keep the A9 from flopping around me when I bend over and twist. The black material is athletic wrap and has just the right amount of stretch so I can tuck it inside my pants and it prevents any flopping around. In Coils on Brace cooler weather the sock can go inside a shirt which prevents “flopping” and if perspiration is a problem the sock could go into a plastic bag secured with a twist tie. I leave this on 24X7 for several days at a time. I also have another arrangement for my lower back that I leave on 24X7 and a third that I leave on my knee, so I alternate between the three. All three are left with the coils taped in place and with strain relief taken care of by the tape.
/Jon

1 Like

I just realized that this may be confusing. While this is a knee brace, I use it around my neck for cervical spine and it is both comfortable and easy to take on and off without looking at it. I can also twist it around to change the battery without taking the brace off. It is easy to adjust it just snug enough so it stays in place without strangulation (RBF for the brain!).

This looks pretty cool to me. It also allows you to make changes to zero in on exactly the coil placement that will work best for you individually.

Thank you Jon, sorry for my slow response. I’m studying your setup and thinking about using the knee brace. For now I’ve taped a Deep Field Coil to the outside of the turned-up collar of an old dress shirt - it works OK, but ultimately I’d like to replace the tape with plastic snaps securing a cloth pocket with the coils(s) inside so I can remove the coils for washing, but your solution may ultimately be easier.

Thank you for your suggestion, sorry for my slow response. I did purchase some Velcro; it’s very secure but I was trying to find a wider self-adhesive material so it would spread out the pressure on the front of my neck to reduce the feeling of choking, but I’m continuing to experiment.

Thank you for your suggestion; I’m going to try to understand prolotherapy and how it might help me.

Thank you for all your information, very helpful.

I’ve been using your Deep Field Coils nightly for about a month set on Omni 8 at level 10 on my neck, and working with a physical therapist to maintain what strength I still have. My main problem is that unlike most people, who have pain - either in their spine or ‘downstream’ in their limbs, etc. - my main problem is severe muscle atrophy in my left deltoids and left biceps; some shoulder pain, which seems to have been relieved using two single coils on my shoulder, but my strength continues to decrease. With pain, you pretty much know if the treatment is working because the pain is reduced. With muscle atrophy, there is no indication so far of the effect of the treatment, possibly because it may take a long time for the affected nerve(s) to be helped to regenerate, and even so, the long-atrophied muscles may or may not respond to revived repair/growth signals from the cervical motor nerves. So it’s hard to know whether the protocol I’m using, the intensity level, the placement of the DF coils and the application period are good choices, and I should continue, or whether I should try a different combination.

So my question is: do you (or anyone) know of actual cases of ICES users effectively treating muscle atrophy as opposed to pain. Every MRI and EMG/NCS diagnosing technician has used phrasing like ‘This is a highly abnormal condition’ which is not helpful. I was initially told that my C3-C7 intervertebral discs were degenerating, squeezing out and impinging on my spinal cord. More recent MRI interpretations seemed to show that the fluid that surrounds the spinal cord was preventing the protruding discs from affecting the spinal cord, and the more likely problem was cervical radiculopathy, which is where the nerves are damaged after they have exited from the spinal cord and are routed horizontally through little tunnels in the vertebrae call foraminal passageways, on their way out to the limb muscles. This can apparently be caused by the discs impinging on the individual nerves, or some other type of arthritic narrowing of the foraminal passages. I’m trying to set up to be able to read my MRI tests on my laptop, but may not be of any help.

I also wonder if it’s possible to use standard 3.5mm mini-plug audio extension cables for the coil wires, as I sometimes roll over in my sleep and pull the cables out of the C5. My guess is no, and I’ll have to attach the C5 to my torso and/or use it when I’m awake.

This is off topic from your ICES PEMF question, though I am wondering if a whole body vibration plate could also be helpful to you. I was just reading studies last night on pubmed regarding WBV and spinal muscular atrophy.

We do not have any direct experience with muscle atrophy and ICES-PEMF, but as a tissue engineer, I will give the opinion that the pain reduction from reduced swelling can be a very fast effect, whereas building muscle once nerve action has been restored would be expected to be a much longer time span. But I think both would likely result from the same effect of ICES-PEMF: reduction of inflammation, so it is not necessary to seek any special protocol for one versus the other. I would just stick with what is working.

You can use a plug extension, but that introduces more problems, including more places for things to become unplugged. Avoid using an extension if you can.

could you please explain the meaning of placing across the spine and not along? I hope I haven’t been doing this wrong for the last 1 1/2 years on my dogs spine… also how would the stacked coils be placed… on the spine or to the side?

Based on the picture, it looks correct.

Generally, consider the spine to be a long vertical line like this |

Then, when you place the coils side-by-side along the spine, they would look like a figure 8

that is not the correct way to place them.

But if you place them side-by-side across the spine, they will look like an infinity sign, sort of like this 00

That is the correct way to place the coils.

If you stack the coils, stack them bumpy-side-to-bumpy-side, tape the stack together, then place them directly centered over the point of injury or pain on the spine, not to the side.

2 Likes

wow for some reason i had that image mixed up in my head and was thinking setup this way: 8 was the right way :astonished:

Whatever works for you, works for you. That’s fine.

But for most people, along a vertical spine |

side-by-side works well 00

along the spine feels more painful 8

2 Likes