Flux Health Forum

SopMed meeting in San Diego June 13, 2019

Course Announcement

Please note that in this forum, we are looking for input. If you have ideas about how to make the course content below better, please comment!

Bob Dennis and Mark Tommerdahl will be the on-site faculty for a course at the annual SopMed meeting in San Diego June 13, 2019.

Bob and Mark will be describing the basic science and hands on application of both the Brain Gauge and PEMF technology. For those of you not familiar with the Brain Gauge, it is a relatively new tool for objectively measuring brain health but is having a significant impact in the research community (over 70 publications to date) and is rapidly being adopted by a wide range of health care practitioners.

For the Brain Gauge portion of the course:

1. Introduction of the Brain Gauge: Why was it developed?

2. How does the Brain Gauge work?
    Mechanisms that the Brain Gauge tests:

1. Lateral inhibition
    2. Information processing speed
    3. Feed-forward inhibition
    4. Functional connectivity
    5. Neuroinflammation
  3. Disorders that the Brain Gauge has been used in studies:

1. Concussion/TBI; post-concussion syndrome, CTE
    2. Developmental disorders (autism, ADHD, OCD, Tourette’s, BFRBs)
    3. Degenerative disorders (Parkinson’s, aging, diabetes)
    4. Pain (migraine, fibromyalgia, CTS, VVS, central vs. peripheral pain)
    5. Pharmacological insult (substance abuse, alcoholism, medication efficacy)
  4. How can you effectively use the Brain Gauge to guide treatment, assess treatment efficacy or assess recovery? For example:

1. Developing return to play guidelines for sports concussion
    2. Monitoring degeneration and tracking effects of interventions
    3. Assessing treatment efficacy of PEMF
    4. Determining source of pain: central, peripheral or some combination of both?
    5. Tracking the time course of patient recovery (i.e., is it slow recovery or the slow reverse?)
  5. Remotely testing patients with the Brain Gauge; increasing treatment compliance.

The intent of the course is to provide both the scientific background of the Brain Gauge as well as a hands-on experience. The purpose of providing the science is to enable or empower the clinician to maximize the utility of the Brain Gauge. Increased knowledge in both neuroscience and the Brain Gauge measures allows the clinician to make a more informed decision and gives the clinician feedback about the patient that is quantitative and objective.

Because we would like all course participants to have a Brain Gauge, we are offering the Brain Gauge Pro at a discounted price between now and May 15, 2019. Use the discount code SopMed to get the Brain Gauge Pro for $500 off retail price (for more info on the Brain Gauge, go to www.corticalmetrics.com)

For the PEMF portion of the course:

Contents of the PEMF portion of the course:

1. Secrets of PEMF: The magic frequency? What really matters.
  2. Why and when to consider the use of PEMF?
  3. ICES compared to PEMF in general.
  4. The electromagnetic spectrum. PEMF, and RFI.
  5. Where to start with settings: General guidelines for use.
  6. Information: Where to get it and share it.

Note that the portion of the course that Bob and Mark teach will be the morning session (8am – 12am) and you get additional instruction in the afternoon from Lee Cowden.

To sign up for the course itself, go to:

1 Like

I wish I could attend.

My advice for the ICES is to have a list of things people have used it for positive results for. I feel like reading each of these categories was the first time I knew what the ICES was used for other than animal studies and self-hacked, but I didn’t feel like I had a “trust” for self-hacked and I am not putting him down. He just isn’t an authority of any kind and he wasn’t pointing to studies and some of his results were self-reports which were more abstract. Bob’s own results are more persuasive to me because I understand them. Again, not putting the other person down. I feel like when I bought it, I made a comment that there weren’t all that many testimonials on the site. This site already has so many more.

When it comes to the Brain Gauge, I love Category 4.

I feel like that is what I haven’t gotten ahold of.

I see my scores and know which parts are low and maybe understand a little bit about what it implies, but I have less sense of what it does for me after that.

Also, I feel like if people score low, there needs to be some suggestions after that.

I have now switched to once per week to get rid of the test anxiety and performance anxiety and fear that the things I am doing aren’t working. That has helped.

I also invented a second person for myself to figure out what is going wrong. I only do one or two tests at a time on that one.

I am fascinated by that because I thought I understood the results of the whole test, but when I took ONLY two of the sections, which I believe I was really blowing consistently, I went from a 68% accuracy score when it was part of the whole test to a 98% accuracy score. I really did well on both of the sections and accuracy where I have blown those sections consistently since the beginning.

I might get tired during the testing. More than might. I do get tired during the testing.

Finding out that it was possible for me to do well on those 2 sections helped me considerably.

I have another section, which I am also low at, but I haven’t done that one yet.

You wrote that doing sections separately might mess with the results and it is clear to me that it really did improve my results, but I was discouraged that I had used it for a few weeks and hadn’t improved at all, in fact I was testing at the worst level and my “best” overall score was my very first test and it just plummeted after that and then just stayed low.

I don’t know if this will help you at all. It just did help me to see a glimmer of hope. I am not sure it will help the overall score, but now I can practice the sections I am weak on and I feel like that would help even with brain plasticity.

Back to the ICES.

Some of the things on the list for me are less about healing this or that.

But the types of biological mechanisms, which I perceive to be important no matter what.

For instance, I believe I saw a study where blood circulation was increased for 3 years after a series of treatments.

Blood circulation being raised for 3 years seemed enough for me and mentally I could have a very big list for that - whether for brain function / Alzheimer’s or relieving cold hands and feet or Diabetics or smokers tending to have less circulation or sexuality and aging or whatever the list would be.

Inflammation decreasing is another one where the list of conditions would suddenly jump through the roof.

I feel like I often mentally having the sense of “I am increasing circulation and decreasing inflammation” is so worth it whether it affects a bigger goal.

I don’t know if I am writing that clearly enough.

I guess sometimes we have a goal of “healing cancer” or something else major and we might use these gadgets better if we had some of the micro goals.

I know that I used it for pain and that pain went away and I lent it out and may not have picked it up again for a while. Recently, I used it for sleep and it worked, but what you will notice is that right now, I am wide awake and it is not on me and if I was aiming at sleep, it worked very well when I used it, but doesn’t work when I don’t and I might burn out a little using it for too many things at once.

Having “It may increase my circulation for 3 years” in the back of my head makes me happy whether I sleep or not.

I feel like there are so many potential topics, which have been studied in animals, but haven’t been studied in people.

For instance, fertilization. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3866534/

My personality already made jokes when the AmpCoil was shown between couples lovemaking, but honestly, increasing circulation for 3 years probably makes that a real health benefit topic.

I guess I understand that it is hard to do that process without “making claims” but hearing a big list of what people have communicated using it for would have been so helpful.

I am going to add that I am not sure if it is appropriate to bring up topics like this on this forum. I just am an older person and feel like sexuality would be a topic for PEMF and fertilization would be another topic. I went back and forth in my mind about it because I do not know this audience, but it does seem likely to be adults.