Flux Health Forum

Severe cramps in the forearms and lower legs

For several months I have been struggling with progressively severe cramping of the muscles of the forearm (both arms/hands) and the stabilizing muscles of the lower legs. It feels different than normal cramping. It includes a kind of baseline stiffness and a feeling of dysfunction and fragility that I have never experienced before, so for me it has been a bit scary to think that I could lose the function of both of my hands before the age of 60.

This has led to daily periods where the cramping was so severe that I could not open or use my hands, or walk safely. The associated pain was also increasingly severe.

I initially tried brief (1-2 hours) of ICES-PEMF using my M1, secured to my forearms. This seemed to help a bit, but not entirely. Last week I decided to get much more serious with it, so I began using a C5 with a pad made of 2x2 coil arrays:

For the past week, I used this for much longer periods of time every day, about 6 to 8 hours, basically because I slept with it directly over or under the areas of cramping in my arms or legs. The settings I have been using are Alpha Wave with intensity = 11, or alternatively Omni-8 with intensity = 11.

I make sure the pad covers as much of the affected area as possible, and I check and adjust the pad location occasionally while awake to make sure it has not shifted too much. I then move it between the most cramped areas every few hours (I am a light sleeper).

This strategy has been immensely helpful and seems to have nearly eliminated the cramping and feeling of stiffness and fragility. I feel like I am getting progressively better, not progressively worse over time. So, I will continue to employ this strategy for the next few weeks in the hopes of effecting a permanent fix.

I think the key points are:
(1) that I did not wait too long to begin this strategy, and
(2) I had real success when I began using it all night, every night.

3 Likes

Bob, it’s amazing how PEMF works with so many different issues. I hope it resolves your cramping.
I had terrible cramps that is probably different from yours, but I’ll share it anyway. I would get cramps in my legs when I got up in the morning, or the cramps is what would wake me. I’ve had cramps in my calves before, but these were in different leg muscles that never cramped previously. I thought it might be related to my low carb diet, so I looked it up.
Insulin affects water and electrolyte retention, so I needed to drink more water and get more electrolytes because of lower insulin due to my diet. The electrolyte waters on the market have such a wide variation of contents, and many are sweetened.
I made my own electrolyte water using NaCl, KCl, and MgSO4. I calculated 20 grams of NaCl, 21 grams of KCl and 11 grams of MgSO4 in a cup or slightly more of water were approximately in proportion to the RDA of the cations, based on their molecular weight. I get more than the RDA, but I wanted to keep the proportion consistent with the RDA.
I drink 3 teaspoons of the electrolyte water with 2 or 3 cups of water in the morning and 2 teaspoons in the afternoon, plus whatever water I normally drink. The morning cramps went away.
Mine was diet related, but electrolytes do affect muscle contraction, and dehydration does lead to cramping.
Tom Brady is high on electrolyte water. So is Dr. Zach Bush, who says it is easy to know when you take too much electrolytes: You’ll know, because the first sign is loose stools.

2 Likes

since i know you are pretty regular with magnesium and I’m assuming your electrolytes intake is sufficient(?), your account reminds me of my friend’s aunt who had a progressive case of stiffening muscles of her back and legs… i don’t know her situation of electrolytes, but what she found worked for her was apple cider vinegar daily… 2-4T…i think she started at 2T… this was a decade ago before pemf was ever on my radar

1 Like

glad to hear things improved. i am curious… how of all the protocols/frequencies did/do you choose which one to use for your treatment/experiments?

that’s pretty cool, thanks. I’ll try that.

do you mean chosen for this particular problem (cramps)?

I generally always start with the pulse protocols that seem to work for most things:

Omni-8
Alpha Wave
Schumann 4

Entirely just trial-and-error, and they all work about the same IMO, because it is mostly about waveform shape (always the same in all ICES-PEMF devices), and not about pulse “frequency” (pattern or Hz).

1 Like

thank you. yes, was wondering for this case was well as other scenarios: kidneys, hip, knee, brain, etc…

brain I’ve been experimenting some with the often mentioned alpha beta etc… one thing that was interesting was recently when sleep hit me in traffic at 5p… usually i have to slap myself, scream or drink something to keep me alert… this time i fired up a binaural audio that worked with the beta band frequency… it unexpectedly worked well in keeping me alert during my commute. so far has worked twice for me… this was very unexpected.

I’ve not yet tried m1 for my head yet to stay alert, but have for sleeping. the jury is still out as i haven’t had enough opportunities to test yet.

have you found m1 to match the claims of brain frequencies commonly mentioned online (i.e., beta for focus, delta for sleep etc)?

The published brain frequencies: different people respond differently. There is much more variability than the people who write papers want to admit.

My advice: do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how you respond as an individual.

1 Like