Flux Health Forum

Recommend 9v rechargeable battery brand?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a brand of rechargeable 9V lithium batteries. The old MaximalPower batteries aren’t available any more on amazon. I had bought another brand but they were a tad off spec and just a little bit too big to fit in the compartment of the A9. So I was hoping someone had tried another available brand which did fit, and were rechargeable lithiums.

Thanks!

They seem to be available still:

Though the top is Green instead of the old Red.

1 Like

Great you found it! Thanks much!

The manufacturer specs change so rapidly and frequently that we can’t find a stable product to recommend, but most of the recent ones seem to fit the current A9 design.

The problem is that the standard for 9V batteries allows a +/- 1.0 mm dimension anywhere except the spacing between the electrical terminals. That means the dimensions can vary by so much that mechanically it is very difficult to design a battery compartment that is large enough for the largest ones but small enough to securely hold the smallest ones. But I think my most recent design update for the A9 case (in early 2018) fits all 9V batteries that adhere to the standard.

I’ve been using EBL 6F22 9V, 600 mAh batteries with Maximal Power 2-Bay 9 V, Lipo Battery Charger for 2 or 3 years. These batteries still power the A9b with 4 coils for close to 8 hours and with 2 coils for well over 8 hours. Be careful with the charger you get; some of them have a high failure rate.
/Jon

I have older A9s and the EBLs i bought back then were a tiny bit too big. Maybe they’ve changed them since. Or Bob’s tweaks to the battery bay of 2018 vintage A9s can now fit EBLs…

I bought my batteries with the EBL charger 2/5/17. The EBL charger was junk and burned out after a few uses. I bought MaximalPower charger 2/16/17 and it’s been working ever since. My A9b was probably around January 2017,

I use these, I think I had one go out on me. Very reliable.

@Bob
I’ve been using these batteries (EBL 6F22) steadily for over 5 years and they’ve been rock solid; probably something over 1,000 recharges. They seem to be not holding a charge as long as when new so I’ve been looking at replacements, which brings me to my question for Bob. You suggest changing batteries frequently for best results, but these rechargeable Li-ion batteries only charge up to about 8.4 volts. Would a fresh rechargeable be like a not so fresh non rechargeable? Some of the rechargeable batteries boast that they maintain their voltage well until they get close to failure when they cut off all at once. Does that imply that there is no great advantage in changing before they go dead? They have some rechargeable Li-ion batteries now that are the full 9 volts. I notice that the AC adapter that comes with the A9 charges at 9.3 volts which makes me think that a battery that charges at 9.3 volts might be better than one that charges at 8.4 volts. These new full 9 V. batteries charge with a USB cable that plugs directly in to the battery. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be ready for prime time. They have reliability problems and have a good chance of being to large to fit into the A9. Also, for those of us who care, they seem to put out dirty electricity/ high frequency transients/ white noise. Without checking this out I would not want one of these batteries strapped to my body 24 hours a day.
/Jon

Batteries are very complex chemical reactors, and the voltages they produce are based on the voltages developed by very old (obsolete) chemistry. It really does not make sense to fall down the rabbit hole of a technical discussion about batteries unless you are an engineer or scientist who studies batteries. Here is what you need to know:

1- I studied batteries in great technical detail and designed our ICES-PEMF systems to use them properly.

2- Use Li-polymer rechargeable batteries as we advise.

3- For best device performance, change batteries often (about every 2 to 3 hours), and keep them charged when not in use. There are many technical reasons for doing this, so I advise you take my advice. Like a car, if the manufacturer tells you to put a certain type of fuel or oil in it, I advise you do what they advise unless you are very well informed and have a very good reason to do otherwise.

1 Like

Just to add a bit more context:
I did some battery research at U-Michigan back in the day for DARPA (not my project, was helping a colleague), and I also did a lot of testing of batteries for ICES PEMF products. I could easily buy a house for the amount I spent on this testing, which involved:
Continuous testing for about 5 years
Testing all relevant battery chemistries at the time (NiMH, Li-Po, Li-Ion, Alkaline)
Testing all relevant battery sizes and configurations,
Testing discharge voltage and series impedance (ability to deliver power)
Continuously for each discharge cycle
Under a range of loading conditions to simulate all possible system loads for ICES-PEMF devices
So, I tested well over a thousand batteries, each for many recharge cycles (when rechargeable)
It was a massive task, at great personal cost and effort, that took half a decade.
So, I feel I can say, with sincere humility but firm confidence that I know a bit about batteries.

The first thing I can tell you is that you can’t say much about a battery by taking a single voltage measurement on a few batteries. Batteries are too variable in their manufacture, they change with use, abuse, loading conditions, recharge cycles, and other factors.

So, I graphed all of this out, wrestled with the data for a year or so, and developed several designs, which I tested extensively to optimize their use of batteries. I selected a small number of battery forms that would achieve the primary design objectives: biologically active ICES-PEMF that was ultra-portable.

Most of the behavior of the selected battery types is baked into my system designs for the M1 and A9. That is, a big part of the hardware and firmware design is specifically to optimize for battery performance. And it works; I tested it, I measured it, and I can prove it. ICES-PEMF devices will run at least twice as long on the batteries for which they were designed than any other similarly designed knock-off PEMF system. For almost all of the PEMF systems that pirate my technology, they change the circuit a bit to save a few pennies, but then they lose this aspect of the design. So, their pirated system will:
(1) drain the battery about twice as fast, or
(2) run longer if they do not bother to actually energize the coils (a sham system)

The newest 9V Li-Po batteries, the ones that are USB chargeable and claim to be “real 9V” have internal voltage boost which generates a less clean voltage than a simple battery, but in that case the voltage output is limited to fixed values by the battery chemistry, for example, about 8.4 volts for Li-Polymer.

The ICES-PEMF battery management strategy will handle this type of battery well, and it will also minimize the amount of “dirty” voltage you get from this type of battery in two ways.

First, the internal voltage regulation and charge storage will smooth those ripples out so that they do not get sent to the ICES-PEMF coils.

Second, the bursts of “dirty” voltage from those batteries are minimized by the way that energy is drawn from those batteries.

So, you can rest assured that I put a great deal of thought into battery management, optimization, and use for ICES-PEMF systems. My advice is that you will get the best overall performance if you follow my simple recommendations for charging and swapping batteries. The complex stuff is all baked into the internal hardware and firmware.

4 Likes

gotta say… anyone that spends this amount of time, effort, and money into such details is truly working from a passion for the work, tech, and or cause.

thanks for filling in the blanks that we as outsiders don’t get to see in the elements and the making of “an overnight success.”

1 Like

I don’t know about other (normal) people, but I seem to get a lot of crappy products. My wife estimates that I need to fix/modify about 80% of the products we buy just to make them work properly.

For example, two days ago I had to fix the design for the little plastic feet on our new kitchen chairs, which are modern-looking and made from welded tapered steel tubing. But the little plastic feet broke off within a few months, so the chairs became unusable because they gouge our hardwood floor.

So, a lot of people my wife knows have these chairs. They are very good at first, for a few months. But when the plastic feet break off, they become frustratingly useless. So my wife and all her friends took to putting plastic water bottle caps beneath each foot of each chair. These never stay in place, and it was really starting to irritate me.

So, I re-designed the feet using a good design and the correct material for that application. They look great, slide well on hardwood, are very strong, and will last for decades.

I usually end up having to fix most products to get them to work properly.
I hate that I can’t just buy something that works. I do not mind spending the money to have well-designed objects, but you almost can never find them.

My point: ICES-PEMF is designed to work as well as possible. I put an enormous amount of work into every aspect of it, probably hundreds or thousands of times more effort into each detail than would normally be appreciated. The systems are not perfect, but it is not from lack of effort.

3 Likes

@Bob, seriously, you are a light in the darkness! Thank you for all that you do.

1 Like

Hi Bob or anyone else who might be able to answer,

Are these batteries ok for the A9? I can’t find lithium polymer… these seem to be lithium ion. Or if anyone has a specific place where I can purchase a lithium polymer rechargeable battery ??
Thank you so much for the help.

They should be fine as long as they are rechargeable 9 volt batteries.