Flux Health Forum

OPEN STUDY: Reversal of kidney disease in cats

For about five years, my brother John and I have been tracking the renal health of his cat, after it had been diagnosed with early-stage kidney disease. Although I have discussed this in bits and pieces elsewhere, since I recently published the full data set, I thought I should post it here.

Reversal of Renal Insufficiency in an Aging Cat: A 5-year Multi-Crossover Case Study. DOI: 10.37714/josam.v2i2.30

https://www.josam.org/josam/article/view/30

Briefly: the paper at the link above shows laboratory test results indicating the ability to reverse cat kidney disease, presented as a case study for one cat over a time period of approximately 5 years.

Bobā€™s Rant (apologies in advance):
I have tried many times to get veterinarians and researchers to help me build larger study on the treatment of feline renal failure using PEMF, a larger study with many more cats, so that we could report a much larger and more comprehensive data set. But people doing work on this terrible disease all follow the same pattern of behavior when I talk to them: initial interest, they see the very promising data, realize this is a potentially very effective treatment which reduces the need for expensive palliative care, and then, without explanation, they disappear from the radar, rarely or never answering my emails and never committing to carrying out a larger study.

I am not a conspiracy-minded person, but I cannot help but think that this evasive trend indicates a darker undercurrent in veterinary care. Perhaps the long-term palliative but ineffective treatment of renal failure in cats has become ā€œtoo profitable to cureā€, a situation that is similar to diabetes or chronic pain in humans.

I find that even (and perhaps especially) ā€œalternativeā€ veterinarians steer away from the use of PEMF with feline kidney failure because this treatment approach requires only a one-time modest purchase, followed by zero-cost in-home treatments. This removes the clinical profit factor from the equation, and the instant this becomes clear, clinical interest in this approach evaporates.

So, while I cannot ā€œproveā€ that this (or any) treatment will work for all cats with all forms of kidney disease at all stages of disease, I offer this to the interested reader as a viable alternative which has had at least one well-documented and very satisfactory outcome, showing the clear reversal of renal insufficiency for one cat.

Since both the mainstream and ā€œalternativeā€ systems of medical/veterinary discovery are not making any progress on this terrible disease, I also offer the following:

OPEN STUDY:
If anyone would like to contribute to this effort, to find a cure or effective treatment for feline renal disease, we could collect data from individual cats/owners. We would need to know:

• Dates and quantitative results of clinical tests (creatinine, others if available)
  • Dates and conditions of use of PEMF
  • Clinical outcome

If we can show a clear trend (either positive or negative, we only want the truth), then I can generate a peer-reviewed open-ended scientific publication that shows the effect on larger numbers of cats when treated with PEMF, and we can begin to elucidate the clinical effectiveness in terms of what conditions of use are most effective, whether or not this approach is effective for more advanced cases, etc. Diversity of cats and treatment approaches is an advantage.

If you are interested, you can respond to this post and send us your data for inclusion.

7 Likes

Boy, I hope it works out. It has to be frustrating that industries are financially driven.

Even veterinary.

Please keep in mind: I am not just talking about the ā€œmainstream medicalā€ system. In my experience, this behavior is just as bad, maybe even worse, when you deal with ā€œalternativeā€ medical and veterinary clinical practices. Both are profit-driven. That by itself is not a problem because market economies are better than the alternatives, but when the incentive structure in the health/medical market is to award maximal profit for delivering ceaseless ineffective treatments to sufferers of chronic disease, you get more suffering. It just works that way.

I am not going to debate economic theory: this is simply how markets work. set bad incentives: get bad outcomes. But when you intelligently set good incentives, you generally get good outcomes from a market economy. Our fundamental problem in the health system is that we have blindly fallen into a complex interconnected set of perverse incentives in a market so vast it is beyond comprehension.

The ultimate answer is to have informed consumers who intelligently reward and support cures and effective treatments, and do not blindly follow one or the other culture of chronic illness. Intelligent consumers must:
1- Become educated and not blindly follow one world view.
2- vote intelligently. Single-issue voters destroy democracies.
3- Set and support positive incentives in the market.

So, unfortunately, finding a cure for feline kidney disease is counter-profitable. Therefore, the current market will never bring it forward. This is not a matter of building enough scientific proof. No amount of data will bring this to the forefront in the current health /veterinary system. The stronger the scientific data, the more firmly the market will reject it precisely because it works so well, precisely because it is counter-profitable.

The data are clear to me as a scientist: this terrible disease can be defeated by a simple, low-cost, non-invasive technology. What people choose to do individually will ultimately decide the future.

4 Likes