Flux Health Forum

NAC Powder Taste

@Bob, and anyone else taking NAC powder… how do you tolerate the smell /taste!? Or do you just take capsules? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Taste is not well, because is a sulfuric amino acid. I would use only capsules or mix it into food. It has mucus dissolving qualities, so it should better not swallowed in pure form to reach the stomach.

Capsules: I take NOW brand from amazon.

@hcf
@Bob

Thanks very much for the info!

I had stomach upset from most brands (not to mention the SMELL!) that I tried. I only take Source Naturals now. They process them differently (the smell is even faint) and I don’t have any stomach upset.

1 Like

@LWM Thank you for sharing your experience!

1 Like

NAC dissolves mucus layers (-> stomack)… that’s the reason I use powder mixed with food. Source N. does tablets with calcium, which dissolve slowly. Powder-capsules dissolve quick.

Best,
Hans

2 Likes

You’re taking NAC as an anti-oxidant I presume. Anything with a reduced thiol group is going to smell like rotten eggs. A alternative medicine MD I was working with wanted to increase glutathione levels in his patients. Cystine, oxidized cysteine, might accomplish this without the smell. (As far as I know). If it is okay with the moderator I can provide a link to the research we did together on this topic.

Problem ist das Cysteine in the preferred L-form has some intestinal negative aspects. I would mix NAC it in a calsule or with food with Glycine and Glutamine to potentially increase Glutathione.

N-acetyl cysteine is not in the L-form? Dr J and I did talk to a guy who was sensitive to thiol compounds. Our research lead us to Immunocal is a whey cysteine compound.

Does cystine make sense as supplement to boost GSH levels? If Hg and transition metal GSH chelates, GSH/GSSG may need to be replenished. Slc7A11, right, brings in thiols for not only removing reactive oxygen species but also for conjugating Hg and transition metals. We were thinking of Hg detox. https://bdlbiochem.com/2023/04/13/gsh-and-hg-detox/
Kinda wonder now if PEMF might have some influence.