Flux Health Forum

Intensities between devices and between levels on same device

I wonder what’s roughly equivalent intensities between the levels on A9 compared to M1.

I assume the same level on M1 is 1/4 the level on B5 and C5.

What’s the difference from 1 to 2 and so on, on an M1?

Specifically, how much shorter would I keep it on, when going to the next level to get about the same amount that I got on the level below on M1?

I’ve been doing low level, slow, but it takes too long when doing multiple sites, so I hope you know where to start with a higher level, @Bob

A9 maps onto M1 intensities pretty closely, except that M1 has lower intensities than A9 has in order to accommodate the most sensitive people. Roughly:

M1 below Intensity 5 is very low, no equivalent on A9
M1 6 and 7 is approximately A9 “L”
M1 8 and 9 is approximately A9 “M”
M1 11 and 12 is approximately A9 “H”
M1 13, 14, 15 is approximately A9 “X”

A single channel on the C5 (or B5) is identical to an M1.
A C5 (or B5) is essentially just 4 channels of identical circuits to an M1.

Difference from 1 to 2 is basically linear, but beyond that it is very complex to explain. Just think of it as setting a toaster or hot water or any other appliance: “low” means “low”, “high” means “high”, etc. If your toast is too dark, turn the toaster down a bit, if not done enough turn it up a bit. It would not be helpful for you to know the exact temperature and timing of each toaster setting. You just need to observe and see whether or not, for your brand and type of bread, to your taste, for the type of sandwich you want to make, if the setting is right for you or not. If not; adjust accordingly and observe again.

I can assure you, not a single competing PEMF product has even an approximate understanding of their intensity levels. I have very carefully quantified the intensity levels and waveforms of all ICES-PEMF products, but explaining the fine differences is:
1- not necessary or helpful.
2- very technically complex, and once again, absolutely not necessary for the end consumer to know.

“How much shorter would I keep it on…”
That is a question combining two very complex issues: (1) dosage level, and (2) biological response. I actually think I am the only scientist who has ever tried to measure and quantify these. You can read about it in my recent lengthy scientific paper here:

https://www.josam.org/josam/article/view/58

The question you have asked is an extremely complex technical/biological issue that, basically every PEMF device manufacturer either ignores totally or, well, they just make stuff up and try to say it with confidence to get you to buy something.

The only way to really know what you need to do to make a change is:
1- Pay attention, take note of how it is working now.
2- Make the change. Be sure to keep track of the details of the change you are making.
3- Pay attention, make observations, include as much detail as you can, and keep a record.

Keep in mind: there is no way to actually say what the answer is because everyone responds differently, and even in the same person, different injuries respond differently. Therefore, there is no simple relationship between a single dose parameter and a specific biological response.

3 Likes

What do you mean linear between 1 and 2? Do you mean one hour at 1 is roughly the same as 30 minutes at 2?

this is linear:
ALM6W22GXXRxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

vs. logarithmic graph
R+KimnukYWP3gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

the incremental progression on linear is 1 unit at a time along the graph (ie, x axis) vs not a 1 to 1 ratio for log per 1 unit y axis

2 Likes

Simple answer: It’s really not that simple. It is like most other consumer products/medical devices, etc. The settings are just arbitrary numbers to make it easy for people to add a bit more, or a bit less.

More comprehensive answer:

By “linearity”, I am talking about the only aspect of all of this that is simple enough to characterize the input:output relationship this way. By “linear” I mean the relationship between drive-stage source voltage and the digital value of the intensity setting (1 to 15). It is only approximately linear, and it does not include the linearity requirement of zero intercept, because there is an offset because of the baseline requirements of the internal DC-to-DC converter. In that sense it is linear in the same way as the top graph shown by Optimal Health: it is a straight line, but it does not cross through the zero point on the vertical axis.

What does this mean?

It’s just like every other medical device and consumer appliance. Knowing the actual internal functional values is of no practical use for the end user. And as I have said many times: Double the intensity does not equal half the time.

The biological aspect of the relationship is far more complex. Think of it this way:
Do you know the voltage of any given setting on a light dimmer switch? Of course not (and it is probably not a voltage level that is being controlled, it is probably the duty cycle).

The same for a volume knob on a radio or stereo. Do you know the actual numbers? No. In the case of light or sound, is it even linear? Usually not. Controls like this that are meant to interact with human perception work best when they take into account the biological response and human perception.

And in both cases, you certainly do not double the intensity of light to read something in half the time, or double the sound intensity to hear the music in half the time. The biological process of reading, listening, and tissue healing are not driven by input intensity.

For example, human hearing does not work like “twice the sound intensity equals twice the perception of loudness” That does not work at all. That is why we need to use the decibel (db) system to measure sound. So, volume controls work best when they convert that complex relationship back into something that acts like this:

“When you turn the knob up a bit, the sound goes up a bit, or the light level appears to go up a bit”.

Similarly, I have calibrated the intensity settings on ICES-PEMF devices to work the same way: the smallest increases in intensity are, to the best of my technical ability, the smallest changes in the PEMF output that would have a meaningful, detectable biological effect.

The way to use them is just the same as a light dimmer switch or a volume knob: when you think you need a bit more, turn it up a bit. When you think you need a bit less, turn it down a bit.

6 Likes

this was a very enlightening answer to the seemingly simple question. thank you!

2 Likes

One more way to look at this question of dosage and time:

If you bake a cake at 350 F for 20 minutes, does that mean you can save time by baking it at 700 F for 10 minutes?

Of course not. Most things that involve a process of development over time are similar this way: cooking, baking, growth, development, tissue healing. You can’t just ram it through in half the time by doubling the power.

7 Likes