Flux Health Forum

Has anyone used ICES PEMF to improve plantar fasciitis?

This doesn’t fall under joints, as it is related to ligaments (so admin, feel free to move this post to another category). I can get pain relief with infrared light therapy, but, would like to know if PEMF might lead a longer lasting effect. Any observations out there?

I have had good results personally with ICES-PEMF for that application, but I have not heard any other reports about it either way.

@Bob thanks for chiming in. When do you see effect after how long of using it (was it omni 8 you used)?

It took 4-5 days, used 6-8 hours each day, coils stacked, Omni-8, power set to H on an A9

Hi @TajD, yes. I have mild plantar fasciitis along with some ligament issues inside of my ankles. I put the coils along the side of my ankle in my socks (and tuck the ICES higher in the socks) overnight. The next morning when I wake up, that ankle feels 100% amazing both on the side and under (where the plantar fasciitis is).

Hi @NatthaW, is your pain in the heel or ankle area? Mine is in the arch area. In addition I have plantar nodes which occurred a few months after taking Cipro. I will do my best to never have to take Cipro again. Right now our dog continues to use the ICES M1 on his gall bladder/liver 16+ hours a day, I need to borrow it from him or get another unit and try it on my feet. Thanks for sharing your experience.

1 Like

Hi @TajD it is officially diagnosed as plantar fasciitis by a sports medicine doctor. It started in the arch. I developed side ankle pain years later.

I injured a toe recently, so started putting more weight on heel when walking and developed plantar fasciitis as result. I believe our heel was not meant to be heavy weight bearing but rather a fulcrum rocking forward to the ball of foot where all the body weight is meant to be supported. So consciously doing the above may help. But also shoes with any raised heel are putting excessive weight on the heel and therefore unnatural and unhealthful. Shoes that are flat heel to toe are called zero-drop, and there many on the market nowadays. I have a pair of xero brand ,zero-drop shoes which I love.

Moderately severe plantar fasciitis began about January 2019. I could barely walk until I discovered Oofos which did allow me to walk. Physical Therapy and stretching helped a little and after several months of that I still could not walk more than half a mile. The fasciitis was along the instep as well as the outside of the plantar surface and at least two heel spurs. I am ordinarily an athletic, active person.

Early in January 2020 I began using PEMF and after almost 3 month it is nearly normal. No heel spur pain at all. I used the C-4 device with four coils on the plantar surface—one on the heel, one on each side of the plantar surface and one near the ball of the foot. I did this every night, all night using (usually) Omni 8 at intensity 12. I did this by taping the coils to a sock so that it was like a booty, for this I used LIghtplast Pro elastic adhesive tape wrapped loosely around the sock so as to create a comfortable boot-like fit.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m new to PEMF and currently trying out a rented QRS system for plantar fasciitis just in the heels of both feet. I’m looking at the A9 system and wondering how I would place the coils to do both feet at the same time sitting down. Also, I’m just wondering, you mention Omni-8, is that the one programme the A9 has, and also, is the programme in the A9 varied to prevent the body habituating to it? thanks!

I would just place one coil on each foot, directly over the point where it hurts the most.

Yes, the Omni8 program is specifically designed to use variable pulse patterns to reduce habituation. I started doing this on all ICES-PEMF systems (I also patented it) about 10 years ago. I think most commercial systems have been starting to do this because I think it helps.

Thanks! Have a lovely Christmas.

How did you decide on “Omni 8 at intensity 12” ?

Trial and error—if I go above intensity level 13 then my leg gets “twitchy” and that is uncomfortable. Omni 8 seems to be the best anti-inflammatory setting—my theory is that it somehow blocks the action of prostaglandins but that is only speculation.

2 Likes

Different people definitely respond differently to different levels of intensity. If you find that one of our devices seems to cause more discomfort, or does not seem to help reduce pain, keep in mind that many people find our devices more effective on a lower intensity setting.

1 Like

i have plantar fasciitis from recently pushing myself in running! the joint of my big toe is also sore… this usually happens when i run longer distance or more than I’m used to. after using ices for 1h i felt some relief. sleeping with it on for 6+set on H side by side across my arch has resolved the pain. now it’s just my calves that have the usual soreness after upping my runs.

glad to have a “quick fix” for running. i can reduce my recovery time and risk of injury while improving my performance in record time.

this is great news!

I have been pushing my runs for longer distance … currently reviewing if it’s my running form that needs to be corrected and/or I’m pushing myself faster than my feet/legs are ready for. I found this of interest that anyone w/plantar fasciitis may have… they recommend that you avoid ice and/or ibuprofen bc it can slow healing:

ice can recongest the area (lymph)… sounds like ices is the perfect “FIX” for expediting healing (of course)! I’ve been using on my foot today for about 2hrs and already feel relief of pain.

My 2 cents: I have used ICES myself for plantar fasciitis with uniformly excellent results, and many dozens of people have reported similar good results as well. It may take a week or more, but then all of a sudden the problem is gone, and does not return for a while. I suggest continued use for at least a week beyond when pain subsides, to allow full tissue recovery (which generally takes a bit longer than just the time required for pain reduction).

The most effective approach seems to be exactly as shown in the photo from Optimal Health above.