Flux Health Forum

DIY padded mat for M1, A9 or C5

I wanted to share my simple example of a small back mat for use with the M1 or A9 (I have both). This also could be used with the C5, anything with multiple coils, really.

I wanted a mat that I could use while sitting at my desk. I wanted a way to customize the coil positioning on the mat to suit my variable needs and allow for experimentation. Here is what I came up with. This is the inside out view:

The mat is about 20” wide and 24” long. I used a nice quilted cotton fabric, doubled up, with the top left open. Basically like a pillowcase.

Inside I used 5 columns of iron on velcro (used the soft half of the Velcro here). I also used short strips of Velcro for closures on the open end of the mat.

I sewed tiny pockets for my single coils, double coils, and M1 body. The coils are wrapped in athletic tape so they grip to the inside of the pockets well. The M1 pocket requires a simple snap closure because the plastic body slides out too easily otherwise.

On the back of each pocket, I ironed on two rows of Velcro (scratchy side) like this

This allows me to position the coils anywhere I want to inside the mat. Because the M1 is so small, it can also be tucked inside the mat. If I were to use it with the A9, I would have to place the A9 outside of the mat and use the longer coil wires.

This is what the inside of the mat looks like with the M1. I love this configuration because everything is tucked inside the mat, very portable to move from bed to office chair! I may get a second M1 to allow for more coils. I also am considering getting a C5 and using it with the mat, with the C5 stored out of the mat, just like a small controller.

Finally, this is the finished product. I used a pattern that I really liked and have had stored away for years waiting for a good use.

I am very happy with how it turned out. It is a very simple sewing project and took me about 2 hours to complete. I used a serger, but this could be done with a basic machine or even by hand. I am sure I will find ways to improve on my initial design and will share when I do.

Hope others find this helpful.

9 Likes

This is great, thanks. This is essentially what I do for my own back. Then I velcro it to my suspenders, which allows me to position the coils at precisely the optimal spot along my spine. I can work, stand, sit all day and hardly notice it is there. I am wearing one now.

3 Likes

Brilliant!! my biggest issue is finding clever ways to place them so that they don’t slip, and sometimes it gets complicated and I just don’t want to bother!! Also, the coils are just too short and having to find a place to contain the body of the unit is another issue. Very clever!

1 Like

Here is the mat attached to my chair today. I was having trouble keeping it in place and was considering sewing on some straps or ties. Then I found the perfect tool for the job - the elastic all purpose wrap that I got with my A9 (42” length). Of course you can use any comparable elastic wrap, but I felt like keeping it all in the family :sweat_smile:

1 Like