Flux Health Forum

Depression

Has anyone found suitable coil placement and program settings for helping adverse emotional states such as depression with the M1.
Thank you

Vagus Nerve is one coil placement which is stimulated in studies. Look at Google images to see where they place the electrodes for it.

The Vagus Nerve is part of the gut / brain connection. Note, you might have to eat organic vegetables and get enough fiber to help your gut bacteria. Serotonin is produced in the gut. If you have digestive issues, you need to deal with your gut. I will say it again. Eat organic. RoundUp is an antibiotic and kills the good bacteria. Here is a short video on the vagus nerve being the connection.

I did use it, both on the vagus nerve and on TMS settings based on PubMed. I will try to review which settings I used. I know that the TMS placement and power mattered more than the Vagus Nerve.

I really have to look at the studies, but the Vagus Nerve is a promising one.

If you scroll down to establishing a treatment plan of this one, it gives left prefrontal cortex TMS high frequency 5 days per week for 4 to 6 weeks. That is what professionals used as of this study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5612370/

Again, you can look at Google Images and see where the left prefrontal cortex is and you can even see images of people receiving TMS.

It is more complicated than this because TMS was studied on several locations, but that location is a standard one. Daily TMS has a 30 to 40% remission rate.

Okay, I found it. This one is information I used. I realized that I did this one:

What I will tell you is that Dr. Ornish did a dietary study on depression and had a much, much higher remission rate than TMS. I say that because they believe depression is related to inflammation and an anti-inflammatory diet is so important as an adjunct with ICES for that. Dr. Greger has some easy to watch videos on how just increasing the number of servings of vegetables to closer to 10 servings per day is so effective at treating depression. The TMS and Vagus Nerve stimulation will help for sure, but diet is too important for this topic. If you have inflammation or blood sugar issues or hormonal issues, please deal with those.

I am speaking from someone who used to be suicidal and I know now that my hormones were off and my blood sugar was off and my homocysteine was off and I had inflammation, but I thought of it all from a psych paradigm and nowadays, I would start with nutrition and electromedicine.

If it posts, here is a TED Talk called ā€œThe Surprisingly Dramatic Role of Nutrition in Mental Healthā€ It is so dramatic.

A Whole Food Plant Based diet can cut C-reactive protein levels by 30% in 2 weeks. Other diets can also help, but lowering inflammation is a main goal. The ICES does help with that.

1 Like

I am laughing. Sorry that I added so much.

Some of us used to be suicidal and take depression so seriously as a topic.

ICES is low frequency so the TMS setting at the right frontal cortex and a continuous setting (I chose 5pps) at the Vagus Nerve is what I did.

I did low power for the Vagus Nerve and a higher power for the TMS, but I really was guessing that part.

I just was reading that there is a correlation between depression and hypertension and that the two share a common pathway. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716493/

PEMF helps with resting blood pressure. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23675619

Going back to diet.

Pritikin diet which is a type of Whole Food Plant Based diet. (I think it is 5% animal products, but I looked at it a few years ago) That diet has had 3 studies with it for hypertension and the third study found that for many people blood pressure meds often have to be lowered in 3 days. The other studies didnā€™t try to lower the meds then, but said that most people need them lowered within 3 weeks.

1 Like

Hey @bettereveryday Where do you place the coils for vegas nerve and prefontal cortex stimulation? and what coil configuration do you use?

WIM HOF METHOD - this will give you immediate calm, peace and euphoriaā€¦ has already helped many with depression. no hypeā€¦ i have been doing for 10 days so far. this is my day 1 logā€¦ this is as real as dr. Bobā€™s ices techā€¦ love it! i have only done the breathing part. YouTube for more reviews and testimonialsā€¦ my 3rd grader and highschooler do this with me and have similar benefits :+1:t3:

DAY1: (started - 1045a)
didnā€™t get much sleep the night before and was already feeling groggy by midmorning. i wanted to skip coffee, so i could get better sleep at night - even if i drink early in the morning, it messes w/my sleep pattern at nightā€¦ i was so tired that i was ready to take a nap.

instead, i found a quick youtube video that guides you thru 3 cycles of the wim hof breathing technique.

symptoms experienced during the exercise:

• face/head buzzing/tingling;
  • ringing in ears;
  • yawning;
  • able to hold my breath for about 2.5mins (prolly longer if the video didnā€™t continue to do breathing technique

and finallyā€¦ after the exercise:

• peaceful sense of calm
  • energetic
  • alert

THIS was the video i followed along with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jAjpZz-5Y

next time Iā€™ll check my pulseā€¦ coulda sworn it was lower, but then, that couldā€™ve been from the last few weeks of running.

still feel good and not sleepy anymoreā€¦makes sense as i have more o2 in my body now. .

Iā€™d recommend you try itā€¦ itā€™s easy to do and you get results within minutes! I look forward to doing at least 30 days of this straight!

WHAT IS WIM HOF METHOD?

Advantages of the Wim Hof Method breathing exercises
The exercises are focused on deep and rhythmic inhalations and exhalations, described by Wim as ā€˜controlled hyperventilation or power breathingā€™ and are followed by a retention time, where you hold your breath for a x amount of time.

source: Wim Hof Method ā€ŗ breathing-exercā€¦
The Benefits of Breathing Exercises | Wim Hof Method

Hey Jesse,

For vagal nerve stimulation, there are a few places you can stimulate. I mostly did the spot the professionals put the leads in.

I tried to find a site that showed a picture.

I would have to look up the prefrontal cortex one again. I used studies on PubMed and then went to Google images and found ones from professionals.

I say that because they studied many different topics regarding the prefrontal cortex and I didnā€™t just read PEMF and those topics, I read TMS and Direct Current and looked at images of where they put the probes.

2 Likes

Okay, here is an example of a resource I looked at for coil placement for the prefrontal cortex.

For that, I did side by side on the left prefrontal cortex. From what I remember there was a different logic for the left versus right prefrontal cortex, and I recommend looking that up on PubMed. But the professionals were using the left prefrontal cortex for depression and in that particular left versus right part of the brain, it seemed better to listen to the experts.

I have done other parts of the brain, but I do think with the brain it is best to know what the different parts of the brain do before just experimenting. That is my opinion and I do know that other people have just stimulated every part of the brain, but I have seen some strange studies. Not involving PEMF, but there are parts of the brain that can get brainwashed, for instance. They have used magnet on peopleā€™s brain to change their belief systems and all sorts of odd studies.

I havenā€™t had brain problems in a long time. I no longer seem to have depression. I did have a little bit of panic that there hasnā€™t been toilet paper at any of the stores around here for weeks, but that is different than what I used to have.

I no longer have hallucinations or night terrors or panic attacks or depression. No suicidal thoughts.

I didnā€™t just use the ICES, but I value it.

I just canā€™t say for sure how much was the ICES and how much was nutrition and how much was starting to get sleep after a decade without sleep.

It all seems to work together.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve suffered from clinical depression for most of my life since childhood but was not diagnosed until my adult years. I would seek out counselling help and NLP, invested thousands of dollars and none of it seemed to help me. Depression for me was very draining, accentuated the physical pain I was already suffering, and made me suicidal.

Antidepressants only masked the symptoms, but Iā€™d still feel prescriptive drugs only provided an artificial fix in treating the symptoms and not the illness itself. The other problem was these drugs had unwanted negative side effects. Eventually, I went off of them and suffered four months of terrible withdrawal symptoms before I could get them out of my system.

Then I found out about a Chinese herb, Spirit poria, that works quickly, nonaddictive, and has pretty much no side effects. Itā€™s cheap and easy to procure here in Canada in pretty much any store that sells Chinese herbs: a box here costs less than $9 CAD and will last me for a few years, since I donā€™t have to take it all the time. Iā€™ve since recommended it to many of my friends who suffer from mental conditions such as insomnia or vertigo.

Itā€™s simple to prepare: you take a piece of the herb about 3-4 inches square and add two cups of water, bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes before drinking. Taste isnā€™t great but if you add it in soup, you donā€™t taste it all. Best of all, it goes to work even as you drink it down, itā€™s that fast.

Spirit poria treats all kinds of mental conditions besides depression: anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, dizzy spells and vertigo. Best not to take regularly: even though itā€™s nonaddictive, if you take it too often, the body adapts and then it becomes less effective. When I had depression, I would take it about three or four times a year and it kept it at bay. But when the pandemic struck and we were in lockdown, I lost my job, in addition to an uncle very close to my heart, and I was taking the herb almost every month.

Then I purchased the M1 and decided to try it for my depression. I had read somewhere on the forum to try placing the coils on the right prefrontal cortex using an intensity of 4. For the first month, I didnā€™t notice anything different about my condition.

Then in the second month, a friend of mine whose husband had an undiagnosed cognitive disability called me for help and I suggested she try using the coils to treat his depression. He had been very depressed and she placed the coils on his left prefrontal cortex to treat his depression. By the second day, he was smiling again! It made me wonder why I was taking so long to respond to treatment?

So I switched and placed the coils on the left prefrontal cortex with the coils placed side by side using a headband to hold them in place and continued to treat every day for about half an hour, intensity of 4 using Omni 8. Itā€™s been about 5 months now since I purchased the M1, and I donā€™t know exactly when, but whereas I used to use the spirit poria every month, I noticed I had not taken the herb in a few months and the severity of my attacks had lessened. At first, I wondered if I was just imagining it, but one of my friends noted I was more upbeat and even able to cope with certain stressful events in my life that would have triggered my depression even more. She has even said itā€™s resulted in a notable change in my personality!

This month, I can say with more certainty, that I am much much better. That is not to say that I donā€™t get discouraged or irritable, but I donā€™t feel the heaviness of spirit that comes with depression. I think the PEMF treatments have really made a difference in my life and Iā€™m finally seeing a light in what I have always experienced as enveloping darkness!

I donā€™t expect a quick fix for any of my medical issues, and God knows, I have many. As I see it, it took me a lifetime to develop these health issues, and if it takes me a year or even a few years to see improvement, Iā€™m very happy. Fortunately, with regard to my depression, itā€™s been much less than that. My next goal is to see if I can decrease the frequency of treatment and eventually not have to depend on the M1 to stay free of my depression.

If anyone else has suffered depression and got rid of it through M1 please post to let me know if you still use the M1 to treat it or if you no longer need to continue treatment. Thanks very much.

4 Likes