Flux Health Forum

Dental Extractions

I had a wisdom tooth extracted almost a couple weeks ago and didn`t get a nice clot form-- so I now have a dry socket.

Had quite a bit of pain over the first week and the ICES setting (C5, alpha, level 4) I use for my joints seemed to hurt more, like it does when used directly on my knees, so I stopped.

My dentist cleaned it all out and put in some medicated gel that stopped the pain for several days until it came out. Then I immediately felt some increasing discomfort around the “bare” area. I tried the same ICES setting again right away, with coils on both cheeks, and waited through some initial maybe-worse discomfort until after about 30 minutes it felt definitely better. I did the same thing when I went to bed – same setting, both cheeks, 30 minutes) and had a good sleep. Repeated again in the morning and haven’t been feeling too bad.

Not sure yet, of course, whether it’s just reducing pain or actually assisting in the wound healing, but thought I’d share.

3 Likes

Not sure if you are aware. There is a product (actually marketed as 4 different products produced by Bioelectronics Corp) called ActiPatch (also sold as RecoveryRX by MDs and for pets HealFast and Allay for menstrual issues/PMS) which is a form of PEMF and is FDA approved for post dental surgery. Am sharing the link for everyone’s education. I give the loops to any clients/friends to use as they leave the dental surgery office. So far all have had excellent recovery with little pain even with multiple extractions for dental implants. None have needed any prescription pain medication at any time and healing is rapid. http://www.recoveryrx.co/bioelectronics-device-alleviates-dental-surgical-trauma/

I actually keep the loops in my car to give away in emergency situations.

Our loops (I own the M1) work the same but allow for varying programs which I find more useful. The loops actually got me to ICES technology looking for deeper science and longer product life. The ActiPatch Loop is sold on Amazon and in most of the world (not the US) at all local pharmacies. More info at bielcorp.com The soft loop with a built in not rechargeable battery is disposable after 7 days (the trial) or 720 hours (the main product, all four versions). To the best of my research the 4 products they make are exactly the same product with different packaging and pricing. The setting on all versions of the loop-
|Carrier frequency |27.12MHz|
|Peak spatial power density |73 microwatts/ cm²|
|Pulse rate |1000 pulses per second|
|Pulsed on duration |100 micro seconds|

There are youtube videos re how to place the loop for post dental surgery use. ICES can be used in the same way and if used 24 hours a day (important) it will make a big difference in recovery time from ANY injury or surgery.

My first post here. Hope you find it helpful.
Krispin Sullivan, MS, CN Clinical Nutrition Researcher Writer and Consultant

6 Likes

Hi,

My wife has had several extractions, before having ceramic implants made. We researched the whole procedure and found, that in order for a proper clot to appear and subsequently new bone tissue, it is necessary to remove the periodontal ligament shell and up to 1mm of the surrounding bone.

If you consult a qualified dental surgeon this should be done properly.

Best,
Carsten

Krispen, I have an ices M 1. The dentist advised me that i cannot have an implant to replace a prominent lost tooth. I am devastated. Can bone re grow with ICES. She said I do not sufficient vertical bone. kate x

My belief (not experiential knowledge) is that PEMF will rebuild bone if other issues are corrected, vitamin D, all minerals, adequate protein, vitamin C (collagen, bone and stimulation of new stem cells), etc. Also jaw stimulation with vigorous (but careful) Waterpik to stimulate growth of bone. When a tooth is missing the underlying bone is no longer stimulated by ‘chewing’ leading to further bone loss, though perhaps that is one of the effects of PEMF, to stop/reverse that process. Using the M1 at night might work but I would seriously consider also using the loop (Actipatch) during the day. My personal experience is that when deep healing of slow growing tissue is needed (cartilage and/or bone) low level stimulation needs to be in place 24 hours a day, absolutely not less than 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Lots of considerations there, how you look, no way to know how long it would take, etc. Some data suggest 3-6 months or longer. This article discusses a new technique from Israel that looks promising. https://www.timesofisrael.com/start-ups-motor-mouth-tech-makes-dental-implants-easier-to-swallow/ Perhaps contacting them? They may have affiliates in the US. http://magdentmed.com/

The science of PEMF says it does result in bone formation/regeneration and healing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669132
and
1: Cai J, Li W, Sun T, Li X, Luo E, Jing D. Pulsed electromagnetic fields
preserve bone architecture and mechanical properties and stimulate porous implant osseointegration by promoting bone anabolism in type 1 diabetic rabbits.
Osteoporos Int. 2018 May;29(5):1177-1191. doi: 10.1007/s00198-018-4392-1. Epub
2018 Mar 9. PubMed PMID: 29523929.
2: Yuan J, Xin F, Jiang W. Underlying Signaling Pathways and Therapeutic
Applications of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields in Bone Repair. Cell Physiol
Biochem. 2018;46(4):1581-1594. doi: 10.1159/000489206. Epub 2018 Apr 20. Review.
PubMed PMID: 29694967.
3: Lei T, Liang Z, Li F, Tang C, Xie K, Wang P, Dong X, Shan S, Jiang M, Xu Q,
Luo E, Shen G. Pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) attenuate changes in
vertebral bone mass, architecture and strength in ovariectomized mice. Bone. 2018
Mar;108:10-19. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2017.12.008. Epub 2017 Dec 8. PubMed PMID:29229438.
4: Jing D, Cai J, Wu Y, Shen G, Li F, Xu Q, Xie K, Tang C, Liu J, Guo W, Wu X,
Jiang M, Luo E. Pulsed electromagnetic fields partially preserve bone mass,
microarchitecture, and strength by promoting bone formation in hindlimb-suspended rats. J Bone Miner Res. 2014 Oct;29(10):2250-61. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2260. PubMed PMID: 24753111.

Added link https://sciforschenonline.org/journals/stem_cell/CSRM-3-116.php from this link (PDF)
PEMF stimulation has been used for many years in
the treatment of bone fracture healing, with clinical benefits [16,39] and
several studies have demonstrated its capacity to increase bone tissue
regeneration without adverse effects [13,40-42]. What is of particular
interest is that the therapeutic parameters are most effective in the 15 Hz,
[0.4 mT - 3.2 mT] range [16], so the effect appears to be frequency specific.

2 Likes

Krissully thank you for the very comprehensive reply. i wear the m1 at night where the missing tooth was. What settings would you recommend? i have always used the settings it came with. Thanks again. Kate

I would also recommend researching and starting to take K2 to help with the bone re-growth. My husband recently had a tooth extracted because of a 50 year old root canal that was infected. The bone was messed up. K2, Vit D, Fish oil (vit A) and a good diet otherwise with intermittent fasting was what we did. The bone healed up in record time and he is able to get an implant.

1 Like

Thanks Carsten. As it turns out, a dry socket is pretty common for this type of extraction in this type of mouth (female, wisdom tooth, need to break the tooth to extract it…). She was a very experienced dental surgeon and I’m confident she did the best things.

Thanks @serialspinner - I do take K2, D, and fish oil as well as (when I can chew :wink: ) a very plant-heavy diet and fasting and/or calorie restriction. All good things for bones, I agree!

Oh my goodness! @krissully – what a whack of great information.

Just to update everyone who responded on my N=1 experience…

The ICES did help with pain. I used my usual settings of alpha at level 4. Since other settings have made any pain worse in the past, I stayed with what felt “safe”. As I noted back a while, I had to wait through a few minutes of increased pain, then it helped.

BUT – the hole didn’t heal over at all for the 2 weeks I was using it and the dry socket stayed gray and open. So I stopped and immediately afterwards it started healing and was noticeably more healed in a few days and pretty “done” after a week. I didn’t feel like I needed the ICES during that time for any pain.

So it did help with the pain of the extraction, but I’m not sure whether it ultimately helped or hindered the healing over of the wound.

Nota Bene: I don’t respond like the majority of people to the ICES :frowning:.

From the research it looks like 15 hz seems to work best on bone so perhaps try the beta1 wave (12.5-16 hz) on low to medium power. The magdent link I posted before has a free downloadable book on significant PEMF bone regeneration research.

1 Like

Hi @Dr. Karen, did you try infrared light therapy at all in this process?

I did initially to try to reduce the chance of infection, but I suspect my IF device (a nose light) wasn’t powerful enough to work through the jaw bone. I haven’t found IR by itself very useful for my pain generally, even when I was using a professional system.

I didn’t need it after I quit using the ICES as everythikng then healed up quite quickly and the pain remained minimal.

I strongly agree with this. This is my personal strategy for most injuries now. Good advice IMHO.

1 Like

I get feedback that supports this. Many people are saying the patterns around Alpha Wave and Beta 1 (on the M1 and C5 devices) work well for bone/tendon. But there always seems to be significant individual variation, and many people like to stick with Omni8 after they do a bit of self-experimentation.

1 Like
4 Likes

This was great - thank you @prometheus / Richard.

@Bob - I’m curious about the growth you mentioned here. I’ve had what they called a root resorption, which was explained to me as bone growing into and replacing the tooth. Is this the same thing you had? I was worried that ICES would promote the bone growth rather than re-establish the balance. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Well, all I know is that I had a fibrous in-growth into the cavity inside my tooth. I think it stopped and reversed a bit. I don’t think ICES-PEMF (or any form of PEMF) causes bone over-growth. I think the growth effects are more “permissive” than forced. But I do not know for sure, sorry, just hypothesizing.

Thanks @Bob. I didn’t think it would have caused it, but wondered if the bone was doing its own thing, maybe “feeding” it would encourage more bone growth instead of letting the tooth re-establish its own tissue.

So many questions…so few answers sometimes :slight_smile:

That is an excellent question though. I have wondered that myself, many times: does PEMF cause “overgrowth”? Looking at this as a generic question, it could reasonably be applied to almost any living tissue or cell. For example, does PEMF cause an overgrowth of:

• Bone?
  • Skin?
  • Muscle?
  • Fibrous tissue?
  • Intestinal Flora, Bacteria, viruses, tumors…?

So far as I can tell, the answer is “no”. I don’t see any indication anywhere that PEMF induces pathological growth of any sort, and I have been looking for a reliable report of this kind for more than a decade. I think the most accurate way to view the biological effects of PEMF is that it helps establish conditions for optimal normal growth, not that it forces growth outside healthy limits in any way. At least that is the way it appears to work.

2 Likes