Flux Health Forum

Can you FEEL a difference between different wave forms? Sine vs Square vs Sawtooth etc?

Hi PEMF Friends, wondering if you can feel any clear difference between save a PEMF device with Sine wave or one with a Square wave or one with a Saw tooth?

What noticeable differences have you felt btw them?

I have seen many youtube videos that discuss wave form, but I am wondering if the different wave form is clearly noticeable?

“Feeling it” does not seem to correlate with the beneficial effects of PEMF. The only time you can really feel it is when it is way overpowered and extremely inefficient. ICES-PEMF is about 1000 to 10,000 times more energetically efficient than TENS stimulation, and as a result, people always report much better results with ICES-PEMF than TENS, even when you can feel the TENS so much that it is unbearably painful.

For this reason, with PEMF, if the total energy is the same, you would not feel differences from using different waveforms. However, waveform is key for PEMF effectiveness, even though you can’t feel it. We discuss this all over on this forum, YouTube, and various scientific publications.

So, the mechanism of cellular stimulation of PEMF is not the same as the mechanisms of normal tissue sensation. It is probably a bad Idea to select PEMF on the basis of being able to feel it, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Hi Bob,
This makes perfect sense, I really appreciate your response!
Bob I have been reading about PEMF and watching videos on it, it seems some folks believe the Sine wave form is effective (maybe not as effective as the square wave or other forms, but effective non the less) … and other opinions seem to believe the Sine wave has no biological effect or benefit.
Was wondering if you believe the Sine wave in PEMF devices is at all effective?

Thank you

Not at all an expert on this subject, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised if sine waves were more effective specifically for brain wave entrainment. That is of course very different from theraputic/inflammation/tissue healing/pain management…

Thank You Bob really appreciate your insight.

1 Like

There is a lot of evidence to show “no effect” for sine waves, and some PEMF experts have expressed to me that they see no clinical benefit to sine waves. I believe these observations, and it matches the data I have from our original experiments at NASA:

https://www.josam.org/josam/article/view/5

and

Nonetheless, I am open-minded to the possibility that sine waves could have some biological effects that were not detected when observations were made. This is possible, but it would suggest to me that the biophysical mechanisms of sine wave PEMF is different from sharp-edged square or delta function waveforms. This is OK, it just means that sine wave and square wave PEMF are fundamentally different from each other in terms of biological mechanisms.

My main scientific concern with scientific and clinical reports that claim effects of sine wave PEMF, is that uniformly they seem to be difficult or impossible to reproduce. So, either sine wave effects are sketchy and unreliable, or the observations suffer from methodological or statistical problems.

But, in my opinion, sharp-edged PEMF pulses work, they work reliably, with profound, repeatable biological effects on an astonishing range of clinical problems. There is no need to keep searching for your car keys once you have already found them, IMO. :smiley:

1 Like