Flux Health Forum

Can you adjust amplitude on ICES devices?

Apologies if I’ve missed it but I understand you can adjust hz on these devices but didnt see any info on how to adjust amplitude in the manuals. Thanks

Bump.

The Effect of Different Frequencies of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields on Cartilage Repair of Adipose Mesenchymal Stem Cell–Derived Exosomes in Osteoarthritis - Yang Xu, Qian Wang, Xiang-Xiu Wang, Xiao-Na Xiang, Jia-Lei Peng, Cheng-Qi He, Hong-Chen He, 2022 (sagepub.com)

So in this study the amplitude was 1MT and the hertz was 15, 45 or 75HZ. Just wondering if the ICES devices can be adjusted to different amplitudes? Thanks

Adding @Bob to this post.

Magnetic field peak amplitude on all of our ICES-PEMF devices is adjusted by setting the intensity:
A9 = “L” “M” “H” or “X”
M1,C5,B5 = 1 - 15
So, how does intensity relate to peak magnetic field intensity?
It is very complex because magnetic fields loop in on themselves. It depends on a lot of factors in all 4 dimensions of time and space, so you can’t really describe it with one number.

Why do they make it sound so simple in the paper? Because they did it wrong.

Yes, that’s what I meant to say: once again, this is a PEMF paper where they did not bother to measure the parameters they need to measure to actually determine anything. It is confusing, incorrect, and incomplete.

And it is easy to misinterpret. You guys are talking about magnetic fields of 1 MT. The paper is talking about fields fields of 1 mT.

1 MT = HUGE
1mT = tiny. it is one million-million (or a thousand-billion) times smaller.

So, they are talking about very tiny fields

But, they did not do a good job of measuring the actual fields at the actual location of where the cells were stimulated, they did not discuss the configuration (needs to be exact) of how the electrical pulses were transformed into magnetic fields (presumably a simple solenoid, based on their earlier work with which I am familiar), and crucially, they did not describe or measure the shape of the magnetic pulse, so the critical parameters could not be determined.

So, basically, what do we learn from this paper?:
1- Even in 2022, people still publish irreproducible science regarding PEMF
2- Magnetic pulses may have an effect on biology, but we have known that for more than 60 years already.

Now, to your basic question: Can ICES-PEMF be adjusted to do this?
Two of the three frequencies are in the range we offer. 75 Hz is not, unless you use a model B5 which allows you to use frequencies around 75 Hz, greater or less. But there is nothing special about 75 Hz I can assure you.

How about the magnetic field intensity?
1 MT: you would have trouble finding that anywhere, and we certainly do not offer it.
1 mT: That is only about 10 Gauss. Assuming that measurement from the paper is accurate (my opinion: a bad assumption, they were very sloppy with their measurements) that would be about what you would get from an M1 on the lowest intensity setting, depending on how you placed the coils.

But if the injected exosome uptake worked better when injected into an animal model as they suggest that it did, then that suggests that PEMF treatment could enhance this type of therapy. I don’t know how that translates to directly treating cartilage tissue with external PEMF (non-invasively, without injections), and it is a shame that they did not more carefully characterize the PEMF waveform to allow us to draw more meaningful scientific conclusions.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this.