Flux Health Forum

Bladder stones and ICES

I do apologize if I’ve missed such a topic already posted. I see couple of closely related–about pelvic floor & incontinence and about restoring bladder something or other. But I’ll go ahead and ask more specifically about bladder stones. Has anyone tried an ICES device for this? I’ve been experimenting, myself. I’m wondering most about placement. I’m using the coils stacked bumpy sides together, placed between my anus and testicles. The anatomy down there is pretty concentrated with different organs, and I am far from an expert in anatomy. But one aspect I’m wondering about is: would the placement be better back more towards the anus, or more forward towards the testicles? Also, I’m wondering if I could use the coils separated, trying to align them with one coil placed as described above, and the other coil on the front of my body down just above my penis. (I am sorry to mention that bit of anatomy, but…it is an anatomical reality :slightly_smiling_face: )

I am not an expert, but also suffer from kidney stones. I have not tried using the coils yet for this purpose. I would recommend placing them where the kidneys are located, that would be on each side of the spine on your lower back. I would also highly recommend the Facebook Group TLO, which stands for “trying low oxalates” they have the best information I have found for preventing stones.

1 Like

Thank you, Linda. I have suffered–SUFFERED!–one kidney stone. But what I think I have now is a bladder stone or stones. I never knew there were such things, but upon investigation, I find that they are indeed real and even common. But kidney stones are closely related and I will indeed check out that Facebook group.

I thought they were the same thing, as I have never heard of bladder stones. I just read the symptoms for bladder stones and they are identical to kidney stones. How do you determine which one you have? My stone was tested for mineral content and it was a calcium oxalate stone. My Nephrologist put my on a diuretic because I had too much sodium in my urine, but not my blood. The diuretic helps to lower the sodium in the urine which help prevent the stones. Fifteen years ago I had about 10 to 12 stones.

My god. That would’ve killed me. With the bladder stones: apparently they are kidney stones that make it past the kidney and subsequent ducts, but get stuck in the bladder. In men–and maybe in women as well (I barely know men’s anatomy)–one place they can get stuck is trying to get into the urethra. The pain with bladder stones is much different than with kidney stones. The kidney stone almost instantly felled me with Severe pain in my lower back on the right side. With my suspected bladder stone/s, the pain is roughly where a prostate is. (And indeed I have read, though not confirmed, that there is such a thing as prostate stones.) I did a PSA test which was fine. As I say I have been taping the coils together and taping to my perineum (just learned this helpful anatomical term from one of Bob’s posts). It does seem to have helped. I have been leaving it for long periods–sometimes all day and all night. They say, with bladder stone, one key is to reduce inflammation–which helps the stones to pass. I’ve also been taking the full dose of strong chanka piedra (“stonebreaker”). And also taking Biocidin–a natural antibiotic mixture, because when the plumbing get plugged up, bacteria can become part of the problem (though UTI tests repeatedly come back very clear).

The coils should help with the inflammation. I have heard rave reviews at the Facebook group TLO about taking Chanca Piedra, and I have been taking it also. It would be helpful if you can determine whether they are oxalate stones so you can work on reducing them from your diet gradually. If you cut back on them to fast it can cause a lot of pain from what I have read at the TLO group. Good Luck!

1 Like

Hi, I am an 80-year-old female! I have endured kidney/bladder stones since I was in my 30s, and treatment has come a long way. If you have “oxalate” in your urine, doctors now prescribe potassium citrate, 10 MEQ twice a day (sometimes more). It can be purchased OTC without a prescription and works by “locking up the calcium” so your body cannot use it to make the “stones.” Plus, you should drink lots of water and avoid too much calcium. Good Luck from an individual who is “free” of those pesky, painful rocks now.

1 Like

When you had bladder stones, what were your symptoms? Did you ever have your bladder stones diagnosed by scans–x-rays or ultrasound? So…do you think the potassium citrate was what helped you get rid of the bladder stones?

I am going to use an analogy to explain what happens when “stones” are formed. I taught nursing for many years and also worked as a nurse practitioner However I will make it very general. When you make a snow ball at the top of a very high hill it will pick up more snow as it moves down the hill. When it reaches the bottom of the hill it will be quit a bit larger than when you started. Urine contains, among other things, minerals in solution. When that solution becomes concentrated the minerals form crystals which over time precipitate out or “clump together” and form tiny stones. Your kidneys are in your back, tucked up under the lower part of your rib cage on each side of your back bone. They are where most stones start, as tiny crystals. If you do not drink enough water or have a high intake of foods containing certain minerals the crystals will grow in size until they become too large to travel out of the kidney and down the ureters ( tubes connecting the kidneys to the bladder). There are many ways this can cause pain and discomfort. Back pain and pain when the medical provider “hits” your back over the kidneys indicates a stone in the kidney or upper portion of the ureter (it can also indicate a kidney infection). When it is lodged in the upper portion of the ureter it can actually cause the urine to back up and cause the kidney to swell (think a water balloon). Kidneys are quite strong and I have never seen one burst but I have seen and felt the pain of a kidney doubling in size. Also as the stones move down the ureters they may cause pain and discomfort, much like a thorn in your shoe. When it finally makes it down to the bladder it can just sit there and grow until you are finally able to pass it or the Dr removes it. When it is sitting in the bladder it can be “silent” and continue to grow surrounded by the urine that is high in the mineral making up the “stone. “. However some people feel the urge to pee (urinate) and when they do are only able to pass small amounts of urine. One day while teaching in the hospital I had a large stone sitting in my bladder and felt the need to urinate but as I was busy and I knew what was happening I ignored it and kept drinking loads of water and apple juice. Finally, when I could not ignore it anymore I went to the bathroom and the urine passed with such force that the stone went with it and I could hear a small clink when it hit the “porcelain throne. “ Men have an added challenge due to the prostate which wraps around the urethra (tube leading from the bladder to the “exit” ) and is at the base of the bladder. The stone can lodge there as it leaves the bladder especially if the prostate is enlarged. This is like a very tight shoe with a very large thorn stuck in your foot! There now you know more about kidney / bladder / prostate stones than you ever wanted to, but the truth is you can have mild discomfort to severe pain anywhere along the stone’s path, depending upon it’s size, the amount of inflammation and swelling. Plus everyone has a different pain threshold and perceives pain differently.

3 Likes

Sorry, missed the question about potassium citrate — it helps prevent the formation of kidney stones by increasing the amount of potassium in your urine which makes it less acidic and therefore less likely to form kidney stones. It also can “block” the oxalate and keep it from attaching to calcium and forming kidney stones. So yes, it has helped me because I have a tendency to form calcium oxalate stones although there are other types of stones. Prevention of kidney stones is not a simple pill but it does contribute to prevention. You can help by staying hydrated and listening to your body. BTW I would think that attaching the coils to the perineum or midline just above the pubic bone would reduce the inflammation, thereby decreasing the swelling and allow the stone to pass. I know it really helps the inflammation ( from a fractured tail bone - coccyx - and diverticulitis). I apologize for the loooong answer!!

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Alinj! I’ve been reading quite a bit about bladder stones, and this is the best description I’ve come across.

I’ve had an odd itching/stinging, varying in intensity, over the past few years. Rarely, it was so intense that I would say it hurt. I generally scratch it with a back scratcher, and that does help some–unlike other kinds of itchy stingy pain like shingles, where scratching just makes it worse. It shifts from side to side. Started on the right, then gradually shifted over to the right–where it has subsided a lot. I would say that the center of the itchiness is about 6 inches or more above where I guess the kidneys are–my phenomenon is about 6 inches above the bottom-most rib, and quite close to my backbone. At times I’d also get an accompanying sharp focused stinging just below my shoulder blades, further out than the itchy/stinging I described earlier. Both of these areas of pain have lessened a lot–almost having gone away.
I’ve been taking a lot of Chanca Piedra (and other herbs) which is sometimes called Stonebreaker. And also Biocidin, which is supposed to breakdown biofilms which protect bacteria. And I take a very strong Olive Leaf extract, which has antibiotic properties. My angle with all those is I’m thinking I may have stones which cause stagnation/blockage of the urine flow, perhaps allowing bacteria to form and make matter worse. So I’m hoping this treatment has something to do with my lessening back itch/sting.
I had a similar experience to yours, where I had been having greater and lesser pain around my bladder. Then one time I went to pee–but couldn’t! And it hurt. It felt like a got a cramp in my bladder. But I hung in there and kept trying to pee, and finally things opened up and I had a very strong flow. I bet I passed a stone–though at the time, months ago, I didn’t even know about bladder stones, so I didn’t think to check the toilet.
The interesting thing is that, beyond the bladder stone implications I came to suspect, is that the suspected passing of the stone not only made the chronic pain much much better and urine flow stonger, but it also dramatically changed my sexual performance–which had been really hammered by what had been going on with my bladder (presumably). I was having E.D., and right away that got a whole lot better. I’ve never read about his aspect of bladder stones. I’ve also read their is such a thing as prostate stones. Again, never even knew such a thing existed until these last months.
Did you ever have an ultrasound of your bladder? I would love to have one done of my bladder and prostate.
I think I still have another stone or stones, because the soreness and need to pee at night still is there, to varying degrees. I’ve seen photos of people’s bladders with A LOT of stones!

Dr. Berg’s Electrolytes has 1000mg potassium citrate per scoop which helps offset our family’s penchant for 85% dark chocolate (very high in oxalates).

1 Like

interesting… never knew dark chocolate was high in oxalates… learning something new everyday! :astonished::upside_down_face: