Flux Health Forum

ACL injury in 13 year old

Unfortunately my 13 year old son recently injured his knee pretty badly. Still waiting on the MRI results but the Doc is worried about an ACL tear.

I want to use the M1 on his knee but he is still growing and I’m worried that it might impact the growth plates in his leg. Any thoughts on whether the M1 or PEMF in general would effect growth plates in growing children?

If I’m reading it right, this study says there isn’t an impact: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6641061 … but I don’t really want risk my son’s growth based on a rabbit study. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this subject. Thanks!

1 Like

Just my thoughts…
pemf in moderation doesn’t do anything on its own except supply biologically effective current. IF the body needs more current to do what it wants/needs to do, then pemf can help. IT’s just a form of nutrition. People are so used to thinking in terms of drugs where the effect can be counterproductive. But pemf is just nutrition. So could more nutrition affect your son’s growth plates? Sure it could. IT might make him grow taller etc. So might be good idea to use on both knees for balance while he’s growing.

From all of the research I’ve done over the past 3 years, it would not have any adverse side effects for your son and his growth. This is my opinion and I’m not a doctor or a scientist. I am in agreement with prometheus as to balancing the treatment between legs as a precautionary measure. It does seem that PEMF therapy makes the most if recovery by stimulating stem cell activity among it’s many other benefits, but not to the extent of over stimulation or growth. I sincerely hope it helps him recover quickly and fully if you decide to use it and that he does not need any doctor intervention i.e. steroid injections or surgery. At his age, he can probably achieve fully recovery relatively easily.

It is good to be cautious. I have never seen or heard of any instance of PEMF interfering with tissue development with any species. But if you are looking for an assurance of a safety anywhere in the published, peer-reviewed scientific literature, you will never find it. And it never arises from a single publication. The best we can do is to consider many, usually hundreds, of published studies, try to determine if there is a consensus, and make a judgement call based on imperfect information.

Safety is a difficult issue: regulatory agencies regularly withdraw approval based on safety concerns long after they have certified a drug or device “safe and effective”. So, the honest truth is that we do not yet have a handle technically on the ability to assure safety. We can spend a billion dollars (and frequently do) and still get the wrong answer. The best answer we have now is to proceed with caution.

Thank you for the responses. We will give it a try.

Here is a draft initial protocol, let me know if you have thoughts. I want to start slow:

• Omni 8, level 8
  • 2 hours per knee, total of 4 hours per day. ( I will apply PEMF to both knees so if growth plates are impacted both legs will get the same amount of energy.
  • Even days (coils on right/left sides of knee)
  • Odd days (coils on front/back of knee)

I also have an A9 and thought about using it simultaneously on the other knee to shorten treatment time. M1 on one knee and A9 on the other then switching them up to compensate for protocol and power differences. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

As a general approach it sounds quite reasonable to me