Flux Health Forum

1 month of use (night only) for sciatica back/leg pain

Hi,

I have a friend who has had severe back/leg pain due to diagnosed sciatica. Her condition is not noted as degenerative, but the cause of the pain is from displacement of disc. I’ll have to get the exact medical diagnosis to update this later.

That said, I did want to get some thoughts/feedback on what she has done/tried for the past month. Sadly, she has not experienced any notable relief from using the a9 5pps brain injury model… I got this unit bc it was initially going to be used for my dad for his stroke he had over 20 years ago. it never stayed with my dad because he had another pemf device that he was using, and many people in my home had immediate need for it in the meantime!

since getting the a9-5pps, I discovered that the 5pps was just a setting chosen for a clinical trial that Bob did, and that the standard a9 would be sufficient for multipurposes -brain and other areas. I’m hoping to save up to get the c5, but the a9 is sufficient for our needs.

My friend has used the unit for about a month and has not had any notable relief. She has tried various settings/configurations from stacked to side by side and at various power levels (M, H, X) for multple days at a time. She placed the coils directly on the problem area, but hasn’t noticed much relief in the month she has been using. She has only used it at night, and she was hoping that should be sufficient to feel some kind of notable relief. shouldn’t 8hrs of ICES for a month be enough to feel a difference? she THINKS it has helped, but there have been days where the pain would suggest otherwise.

Has anyone had any success with using their micropulse device to relieve their nerve pain?

From my experience, field testing and the recent nursing study: we would generally expect more than 90% of people (it appears to be somewhere between 93% and 98%) of people with idiopathic nerve pain to respond positively. But all injuries are different, and the mechanical/anatomic details of this specific injury may not respond to PEMF. Keep in mind: even with 93% rate of benefit, that means 7% do not see any benefit from using the device. If using the A9 for 8 hours per day for a month does not confer a noticeable benefit, this may be an individual with an injury that does not respond to ICES-PEMF. I would have expected a benefit by now if there was going to be one.

Other possibility: check the device with the hexagonal coil tester that is included with every device. In some cases, when we do not see a positive response, it is because the device is not working properly for some reason (usually broken coils or a bad connector)

3 Likes

if displacement of disc is due to fascia pulling on it, then pandiculation has been shown to help and even heal such condition by resetting fascia to normal state. Below is just one online source:

thank you so much for your feedback. i really wish it was a broken coil i could report as to why it didn’t help her noticeably! I’m still pretty bummed. i confirmed she has a bulging disc which is what’s causing her sciatica. she’s scheduled next week to get her injection (epidural?) … I’m wondering if using the omni 8 protocol would work vs the one used in the a9 5pps unit?

thanks for your valuable feedback :+1:t3:

thank you for the info. i was told it’s due to bulging disc.

I think the Omni8 pulse pattern is likely to be more helpful, based on the field testing I did several years ago with various pulse patterns while developing the C5 and m1.

2 Likes

@OptimalHealth,

I also have bulging disc’s. PEMF has helped reduce and even remove the pain, but it does take time and it helps if I am cautious and don’t re-injure the area while it is healing.

I’ve had to remind myself of both these facts this past week while treating my lumbar region with the B5 quad coils after moving a mattress that didn’t agree with my back.

Yes, that used to happen to me all the time:
“Wow, no pain! Now I can go back to doing exactly the things that injured me in the first place!!”
… predictably, I would re-injure myself …
then back to the PEMF for a few weeks or months.
Eventually I grew out of this phase :\

1 Like

how long did it take you to help with the bulging disc pain?

@Bob Yeah, I hope I grow out of it too.

@OptimalHealth

The pain isn’t gone yet, although it seems less. It’s only been a couple of weeks since the injury.

I’m wearing the B5 coils on my lumbar area 12-15 hours a day.

@OptimalHealth

No pain now, in the middle of the night after wearing the 2x2 pads four thick almost constantly for 4-5 days now.

BTW, my wife says I hurt myself on the 8th. So it’s been about 19 days. Most of those days I didn’t wear any PEMF, and I continued with moderate physical work. Therefore, no real serious PEMF therapy for the first 2 weeks.

Let’s hope I remember to be cautious this week and use the B5.

Thanks @Bob for the technology!

Brian

that’s wonderful news! i think the people whom i lent the ices to didn’t get benefit bc they didn’t use enough nor did i get to oversee and adjust usage. double coil 1 pair or a 2x2 had been used with hope of reduction of pain (2 people have tried so far for sciatica)… did you get any reduction of pain during the first week of use? I’m wondering if it was bc they weren’t stacked.

@Bob should there be some noticeable difference in comfort for most people with sciatica in the first week of they are sleeping on it? would 1 pair be sufficient?

i think sciatica has been the only one that i haven’t heard positive feedback about from those who have tried for a month sleeping on it as well as 2-4hrs of use during day for at least a week…

Sciatica has always been one of the more difficult ones. One major question is where, exactly, is the source of the problem that is showing up as pain? Is it a referred pain, stemming from inflammation somewhere else (a spinal nerve pinch, for example).
So, it turns out that sciatica has only about a 50%-50% success rate when using ICES-PEMF; some people say that it is very helpful, others, not so much. And yes, sometimes it takes a long time for positive results, which brings up the question: would it have gone away anyway, without ICES-PEMF?

I think people have had as much or more success when they use the coils on their lower spine with sciatica compared to using it on the point of pain itself. But it is very hard to say, because almost no one actually gives me any feedback on this application. It’s like, once the pain is gone, so is their interest in the topic.

Let me reply to this. I’ve had two herniated disc’s in my life. The first was fixed through surgery. Pain gone and never came back.

Ten or more years later I did something that injured it again. Another MRI confirmed it was another ruptured disc. This time however, I chose to forego surgery to see if I could find another way to heal it. I was extremely motivated to find an answer because I had a son who had a very severe back injury with pain so severe that Oxycodone 80 mg hardly touched it. I wanted to find a way to help him, so I began to research online. I stumbled on marketing and other information about using static magnets to heal pain. They sucked me in. Over the next two or three years I bought magnets and made a 5" x 8" pad of 1.5" diameter 1/16" thick neodymium magnets.

It wasn’t until I got the pad about 1/2"thick that I started seeing improvement in my pain. I wore that thing everywhere I went. I would walk past metal doors at work and the magnet pad would occasionally clap to the door. People thought I was nuts.

Eventually I was able to get off Tramadol, but it took about 2 years of wearing that static magnet pad almost everyday to get there.

My son was not interested in wearing a heavy pad on his back. It caused him more pain to wear it.

At that time I learned about PEMF so I started researching online again. I eventually bought an iMRS and was extremely disappointed, because it cost in the neighborhood of $5,000. By this time my wife also had pretty bad back pain, so she began using it.

Of course, because of the cost, we expected miracles and didn’t get them. We purchased several other devices, but the only one that seemed to have any effect on pain was the OSKA Pulse. We put it on a string and wore it around our necks. However, it hasn’t done hardly anything for my wife.

It was at this point that I ran across Dr. Dennis videos on YouTube. His technology appeared better than all the others, if only I could trust him. I knew the technology had to be good because I knew the static magnets had helped me. So we eventually bought two M1s and a B5.

Nothing I have purchased has had nearly as much impact on reducing my back pain as the B5 has.

I don’t expect miracles anymore because Dr. Dennis is honest about his technology, and I’ve come to have more reasonable expectations.

To make a long story longer, I mean shorter, just wear the darn thing until you’re healed, or until you get over-saturated with energy and need to take a break, then wear it some more.

If you’re still reading, thanks. :grinning:

7 Likes

Brian, following on Dr. Dennis’ comments, do you wear the coils over the injury or over the pain location?

Sorry, on re-reading I see you treat the lumbar region

1 Like

I put the coils over the left side of my lumbar, pinpointing as best I could where the pain was in my spine. My understanding is that that is the location of the injury and inflammation. The goal, I believe is to heal the injury, which would hopefully get rid of the pain.

OK Makes sense. Thanks

1 Like

That is exactly the point. I strongly suggest treating the injury (i.e. the source) rather than the pain (i.e. the signal)

2 Likes