Flux Health Forum

PEMF makes me very tired?

yes, em sensitivity needs a lot more research IMO. I was very careful when designing the waveforms for ICES-PEMF to not include any energy in the frequencies that seem to cause a lot of em hypersensitivity (radio frequencies MHz to GHz generally).

I would go further to say that there are at least several or maybe many different types and biological mechanisms of em sensitivity. For example, you could be sensitive to too much intensity or duration of biologically-beneficial PEMF, and different people would have different levels of sensitivity, or you could be hypersensitive to radio-frequency signals (totally different from ICES-PEMF, this would be MHZ to GHZ frequency sinusoids), again at different thresholds and maybe different frequency ranges for different people. This latter would almost certainly be an entirely different biological mechanism of sensitivity.

I just had a long talk with Bryant Meyers about this general topic today. He is a well-known PEMF influencer, and I generally agree with him on this topic (he knows physics very well, so we do not tend to disagree on anything scientific).

He was telling me that he tested a bunch of the newer mats (mostly made in China) that are relabeled and sold by a lot of “health gurus”, etc. He told me that all of them are very sloppily designed and generate very noisy signals in the range that would probably be irritating to some people, and at power levels that he thinks are dangerously high, and I agree with him. He told me he’s thinking about making a YouTube video about it. I hope he does. We discussed the fact that I try very hard not to say negative things about other specific PEMF brands, but on the other hand, there are things that need to be said just for the public good and he is probably the one that needs to say them. When/if he does, I’ll comment on his videos to reinforce his message.

4 Likes

I hope he makes the YT video. You might be interested in a paper by Dr. Martin Pall about electrical sensitivity.
Electromagnetic fields act via activation of voltage-gated calcium channels to produce beneficial or adverse effects - PubMed (nih.gov)

1 Like

I know I’m popping in Very Late to this discussion, but I thought I’d just add in a piece that is consistent with some of the other thoughts above. I’m thinking about adenosine, which is part of our energy metabolism and is associated with anti-inflammatory effects. Normally, adenosine naturally increases over the day and creates our tiredness at night or after a hard exercise session. Sleep/Rest decreases it again. PEMF has been shown to increase adenosine and is thought to be at least in part responsible for its anti-inflammatory effects.

So, I’m wondering if maybe your body is significantly increasing its levels of adenosine in response to the PEMF stimulation -> causing your tiredness. The higher the intensity and/or longer the duration, the more the adenosine produced perhaps.

That might mean the suggestions above make sense in that less intensity might let your body use the adenosine more as it creates it in response to the PEMF (kind of “keeping up”) and avoid a “build-up” which leads to tiredness. Shorter sessions might also do this by giving more “recovery” time between sessions for the adenosine levels to be used and “rebalanced”.

Just thoughts.

2 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me too.

1 Like

I’m surprised to find that for me, the A9 used for a long period of time (2+ hours on medium or even low) makes me tired/fatigued/irritable/shaky as well. Thankfully, it also reduces pain and inflammation. In my opinion, it’s undeniable proof that the projected energies have an effect on the human body, even if it’s not well understood yet.

So would the best advice for someone who’s sensitive like myself be to use it in short 10-15 minute bursts on medium or high? Anyone else have success using that strategy? I also wonder if it’s possible to acclimate over time and remove this unusual side effect.

It’s interesting how not everyone has this experience of sensitivity, and some are even able to use their device all night while sleeping. I can’t imagine being able to do that, though maybe I just need more time getting used to and adapting to the effects. I’m only on my third day of use.

Some people are “super-responders”. People really do respond to PEMF with a very wide range of individual differences. From what I can tell, hyper-sensitivity does tend to reduce over a period of about 2 to 3 weeks for most people. So, if you continue to use the device, it would be great if you occasionally reported back to this discussion to tell everyone how well you adapted, or not, what strategies you used, etc. That would be very helpful for many people who are very sensitive to PEMF.

I myself was initially very sensitive, and my strategy was to start low-and-slow, and build up to higher levels over the course of about 2 weeks. It worked for me. We also used this strategy when we did a concussion/mTBI study, advising people to work up to higher intensity over the course of days or weeks by using progressively longer exposure times and higher intensities.

So, I am pretty confident that strategy will work for you too, but please do report back here on your personal findings and observations.

1 Like