Flux Health Forum

Leg and Butt Pain unresolved with Lumbar Decompression Surgery

I applied the coils in both side-by-side and stacked configuration, 24/7 , over the nerve roots and along the nerve pathway for well over a week with no noticeable improvement. My hunch is, because the sciatic nerve is so large and buried deep beneath dense gluteal muscle or deep inside the spine, the A9’s intensity may not be enough to penetrate. Just a hunch tho.
I also have an arthritic shoulder which I had scoped a few years ago. The shoulder gets very sore if I over-use it. After 40 minutes of side-by-side/ high level treatment, the shoulder feels a lot much better. So, there is benefit to be had by using the unit.
Perhapse more experimentation will carry the day.
Stay tuned.

1 Like

This is a good suggestion in my opinion.

Definitely we observe that “more is not necessarily better”; sometimes too much becomes less effective and somewhat irritating.
Lower back pain usually responds well to ICES-PEMF: we get report that range from 93% to 99% success, usually within 1 to several days.
Sciatica is more difficult. It seems to be somewhat less successful, because it is harder to pin down the source of the trouble perhaps, and it takes longer (many days to weeks usually)

2 Likes

Yes. I observe my sciatica is very stubborn and hard to figure out. Multiple branches converging to form a large nerve running deep inside and passing through a variety of tissues. Very complex. My view is: I own the unit, batteries are easy to recharge and I have the time so, why not keep at it and see what will come of it over time.
The input on the forum is helpful.
Thanks.

1 Like

Definitely some of these issues are more stubborn than others. Carpal tunnel, CRPS, and fibromyalgia are similar in this regard. Initially it took me almost 4 weeks of trial and error and a lot of persistence to get it to work for fibromyalgia. Mine was bad at the time and getting progressively worse. But I eventually figured out what needed to be done with ICES-PEMF to get good results (start immediately, use all day every day, use higher intensity than I normally need for back pain, use stacked coils, expect 2-3 weeks of use).
People who have used ICES-PEMF for carpal tunnel tell me the same approach works.

And for stubborn things like this, it helps to use ICES-PEMF preemptively. Some older hockey players I know use ICES-PEMF on their wrists before and after every game, and have stopped any recurrence of carpal tunnel. I do the same thing to prevent further episodes of fibromyalgia.

CRPS is the most difficult I think. But when people start early and use ICES-PEMF often and are persistent they tell me they usually get good results.

2 Likes

That’s a good point about how deep the sciatic nerve is. For a structure that deep, my understanding is you might only be able to penetrate deep enough by positioning the coils on either side of the hip (front & back) to sandwich the nerve. And it’s possible you will also need to try a higher power setting, in that configuration.

Hey @Beautim I have some of the same issues but it hasn’t gone as far. I’ve found NUCCA chiropractic helpful. The doctor only adjusts the C1 or atlas bone. I’d suggest giving that a try whenever you’re able. Best wishes for speedy healing.

1 Like

Updated observations here.
Intrigued by Dr. Bob’s YT conversation discussing the benefits gained by clinical PEMF treatment combined with the micropulse, I set put to find PEMF in a clinical setting locally.
Mid-week, I located a chiropractor with clinical scale PEMF beds/machines. I tried to take a treatment on Wednesday (3 days ago) and wasn’t able to tolerate the pulse as my sciatic nerve went into overdrive even at the lowest setting. I lasted perhaps 30-60 seconds.
I went back for another try yesterday and was able to tolerate 30 minutes at a faster freq. beginning at the lowest setting and gradually increasing slightly as the sensation dissipated. The treatment lasted 30 minutes.
About 1-2 hours following treatment, I began to feel light headed as though my bp was low. Upon measuring, my pb was 123/72 as usual.
I also felt pressure in the area in my throat just below the top of my sternum.
From onset to end, these sensations lasted under an hour.
Within another hour or so, my low back and sciatic nerve started to hurt. As the evening went on, the soreness/stiffness continued to increase. Today, my low back is sore, as tho I injured it. I’ve been alternation hea5 and cold to try to resolve it.
I tried to use the micropulse today at my L4 and lower. However, I’m very sensitive and even the lowest setting is irritating right now.
My understanding is, PEMF increases blood flow which I assume would explain the light headedness. I have hypothyroidism so I assume the sensation in my throat was due to PEMF influence on my thyroid.
I don’t know if this a good or bad as most of what I try during this recovery seems wrong.
My understanding is, PEMF is supposed to modulate pain yet I am stiff and sore today.
I’m perfectly willing to trade short term discomfort for long term gain but I don’t want to go backwards.
Can anyone help me understand or interpret interpret this? Is this good soreness or bad soreness/normal/abnormal? Did I make a mistake by treating for 30 minutes?
I can go back for a treatment again on Monday. Any suggestions?
Thanks all.

1 Like

That sounds a bit concerning to me. It sounds like you are very highly sensitive to PEMF. I would definitely limit my exposure intensity and duration. If you decide to go back to it, you might try easing yourself in slowly rather that enduring a 30 minute session.

I designed the Model M1 ICES-PEMF to go to very low levels of energy, and if you have one of those you might start at the very lowest setting (1) and use it for a very short time (< 5 minutes) and then slowly build up time and intensity from there.

But please, be very careful and listen to your body: it is telling you something important.

1 Like

Just to complete my contribution to this thread, MRI revealed a herniated disc. Rather than undergo surgery I opted for an epidural first. Fortunately, it relieved 80% of my pain. I continued using PEMF at night and while at my desk, using a 2x2 coil on a B5 at Omini 8 and 11 power, situated on my lower spine at the rupture site. That coupled with 2 Tylenol a day has left me pretty much pain-free.
This isn’t much help to people with more serious conditions, but I did want to close the loop.

1 Like

excellent, thanks for following up.

1 Like

there is likely a bit of deterioration in a vertebra in the L4 or L5 region and it most likely pinching the sciatic nerve, and has probably moved a bit out of line.

A PEMF device can promote stem cell growth and may allow the vertebra to rebuild slightly over time, provided the cause of the deterioration is corrected with a proper diet (calcium, etc.) and a good posture and more standing and less sitting.
Too much sitting caused my problems and I now have a standing desk for my computer and I make sure I have 1.5 to 2g of Ca every day.

I would recommend adding vitamin D and magnesium, and reducing calcium drastically.

i vote for magnesium and vitamin D as well. would also add vitamin k2…

green smoothies (low sugar ingredients) daily would help supplement further.

Do Google search to understand better the suggestions for vitD,K2, magnesium… never trust blindly the advice of any expert or treatment without understanding the mechanism of action, risks, and or context of opinions (including my own) :upside_down_face:

3 Likes